I'm at it again!

A friend at work has asked me to fix up a HW80 he found in his barn but after looking at it I think it might be a little out of my league!!! I'm a tinker not a Gunsmith (as most of you know!)

The action/barrel is covered in rust and quite badly pitted, the cocking lever is flapping about and although as rusty as the rest of the gun looks like it's from a differant air rifle??? and when cocked the trigger won't catch the sear on the spring, (I tried adjusting the screws on the trigger in case it was wound down to tight) The stock has a thin split along the cheekpiece and is battered about quite a bit.

sorry for crap photo's (VGA camera phone)

Image16.jpg

Image17.jpg

Image18.jpg

Image20.jpg

the slot for the cocking lever widens to accept lugs

Image21.jpg

the cocking lever with no sign of lugs!!

Image22.jpg

Image16-1.jpg

So what do you reckon? Hopeless job or just a lot of work?

Edited by bullmastiff

Guest baldie

The cocking slipper is missing, its a small piece of steel, that connects the lever to the piston. They are only a few quid. Personally, i would do the gun up, new spring, and seals, slipper, shouldn,t cost more than £30 , and some oooo grade wire wool and oil will fetch the rust off if done carefully.Glue the split stock, and you,ve got a cheap knock about, full power hunter.

Ok thanks again Baldie, Just looked at Chambers for parts and found they've got a new website, so easier to order now! and your right just under £30 for parts.

What would you recommend for the inside of the barrel? again rusty and pitted do you think a phos bronze brush is going to shift it? (if done enough times) I've got it stripped down and soaking in dodecane oil (like a heating oil) at the mo to try and loosen dirt/grease and rust.

I can't believe how heavy it is!!! my brother was carrying the HW35 around the woods for a few hours last night and was complaining this morning! and this ones even heavier!!!