Fallow cull

Well the numbers were right down this year but we were up against last years hide and seek champions that have  definitely remembered and learnt from the approach of trucks delivering rifles to to seats and the sound of a quad bike .Instead of standing out the middle of fields or running blindly from cover to cover , this year they found dense cover and lead down .I was on the quad and never got a shot til lunchtime . A young doe stopped too long at a fence line 

8A7035D9-1B4D-4417-B796-621EFA7D9EB6.jpeg

Onward to another patch of cover and met with maybe 40 does leaving cover moved by a marshall . Managed another youngster before they disappeared into woodland 

2036E22F-E76E-46A0-BFCC-E9483CCC48C7.jpeg

Shot a muntjac buck next that made the mistake of stopping on a ride 

A5E9F1D5-540E-4F36-BE23-F5A10900B8F0.jpeg

Mabaged two more in woodland before the whistle went a large doe and a pricket . Don’t seem to have the pic of the pricket . 

C1061427-E8FD-45F8-BAE6-E7E63A9072BC.jpeg

I-think the tally was about 40 odd , well down on our usual 70 plus . Plenty of rue about though which I think is an indication of reduced fallow . Muntjac everywhere though . 

• Like 5

They soon learn FD , for the first couple of years on one of my places they weren’t bothered by vehicles or quads in the least , the only time I can use the quad now is at the end of a session otherwise they are gone ! Even two fields away if the hear the quad there gone to wood .. 

That looks a decent muntjac mate ..

He’s not bad mate ,debating whether or not to get it shoulder mount .Master bucks everywhere in groups now . Could of shot 15 or so but they are strictly off the list with a hefty fine to follow .Been a lot of forestry work thinning in places where I’ve found them before and the huge parties we’ve seen previous were split into smaller groups and hidden .Lost loads over the boundary in one area but that’s just the way it is .

When I was lamping foxes I seen fallow stags dropping low in 18 inch high rushes and crawling back into heavy cover. They were been hammered by lampers with rifles. I don't know if they were walking on their knees or belly crawling but all you would see is a pair of antlers shifting across knee high grass until heavy cover then up and away ?. Only the older clever stags seemed to do it.  The younger stupider ones must of paid the price for stopping and having a look up.