Bolting to a gun

42 minutes ago, TOMO said:

intresting stuff micky....like yourself done loads round that area back in the day....shame all the rabbits have nearly all gone...

I used to ferret around Bottesford a lot. The old railway lines held enough to sicken me of rabbits. :laugh:

Was great fun when I had a few other keen lads.

Likewise, elsewhere in the vale we had some fantastic nights lamping with our lurchers.

There were places suited to lamping, places suited to ferreting with nets, places suited to bolting to gun and others suited to walked up bushing with terrier to shotgun. It's all pretty much f****d now. Glad I experienced a bit of the good days rabbiting though.

But I think that's the bottom line with bolting to gun. If that's what you want to do then save the suitable (safe) places for that. Enjoy other methods in the less suitable places. Simple narrow hedgerows are ideal, giving a lovely clean crossing rabbit for usually 20+ yards. Open banks probably even better, more sporting as the rabbit tends to jink a bit. But they're like rocking horse shite.

44 minutes ago, TOMO said:

had some paid rabbit control work around that line you mention....ten years back.....I go past it almost everyday taking my daughter to school ...as shes at bottesford 

The main line to Nottingham, or the old one that run south to north? It was around 10 years ago I remember contractors ferreting the main line as a result of a collapse apparently. I was ferreting a garden near by when a landowner stopped to ask if I was part of that crew and then offered me some more permission.

the main line had been gassed...not by me...but there was still activity on it....theres an old disused bit that comes off near the croosing...the land owner got me to do a load round there....

mind funny thing had happened the first day there...I bumped in to an old fella who was cutting wood..he told me that just two weeks befor some lads had come and ferreted it all and over a number of days had took around 200 from there.....wich saved me a load of work ..lol....

I did some ferreting there....had a snare line down ..lamped with a rimmy ...and lamped with the dogs and removed another 200 or so over the next fortnight or so...

I later found out who had ferreted it...it was my mate jim from deby....lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

tried shooting over ferrets in real rough hedges and overgrown patches a few times when using nets was not possible,but not for me, found that due to gunshots the rabbits were reluctant to bolt therefore more digging and lie ups,some of the rabbits were well blasted with buck shot and were unsaleable,my type of ferreting is silence, good  steady reliable marking dog,and taking time and patience to set purse nets and long nets, but each to there  own,also never favoured mob handed  ferreting,just me and the dogs and silence.