First Scattergun!!!

Evening all, so, been thinking of getting a shotgun for a while as me mate started banging clays and I fancied a go. After much research and deliberation, I settled on either a Beretta SP, Browning or Miroku. I went to see a few but didn't fall in love with any of them, none of them felt "right". Until I found a small gunshop which was halfway between work and home, right out in the sticks, popped in and had a look.

He had a lovely Miroku MK70 sporter, which looked brand new, I tried it and it felt right, he let me have a couple of shots in his garden and it felt perfect.

So I took the plunge today, £950 with 3 chokes, I've got to be honest, I can't find a mark on it, it's basically brand new, it's also had a full service and looks immaculate in the barrels and action, I'm well happy.

So what do you all think? Good deal? Good gun?

Sorry for the bad pictures, I'll take some more in natural light tomorrow ?

IMG_20181108_171126.jpg

IMG_20181108_165121.jpg

You have made a good choice. To my mind they are the best value guns around . You can pay £1000s more but why ? I had an MK38 years ago when I was a keen clay shot . I saw that George Digweed was shooting Perazzi and  or Kemen and I thought I need one . For a while my scores dropped off and then got back to what I was shooting with my Miroku , but never really improved. I had a Perazzi MX8 and in the end got rid of it , for a Berretta DT10.... same thing . Sold that not so long back and was on the look out for another MK38 . I saw one on Gun Trader , it was a 32 inch sporterised trap with Teagued chokes. I went to the trader to buy it and he told me that it had a quite famous previous owner , and that if you can’t hit anything with it it’s not the guns fault . I asked “who owned it “? World and European champion, Micky Rouse !!! The humble Miroku is a superb shotgun, all these top clay shots get sponsored to shoot these expensive guns but I’m positive that if they had to pick a gun to buy themselves it would be a Miroku. 

• Like 1

very nice gun, regards price dont know what there fetching  brand knew to compare  , with your gun  . ?  But being honest reading your post, you say its your 1st gun, and new to knocking few clays down. Ok you hit few on his ground , but  i dont think you can beat having your gun fitted proper by a gunsmith , and you might find  the sport (clays) is not for you ? Ive been shooting 40 years on/off  , thats live / clays  . Ive got a 686 Beretta  used it for bit of rough shooting, few times on a guest shoots partridge/pheasant /duck   and plenty of clays , so my gun  bit of alrounder , suppose  bit heavy just for live stuff, to carry around all day but done ok with it.With clays  was a 65%  on them , the 686  great for them. If it had been me  mate , i would have used me mates gun for 2-3 weeks  1st , to see if you really like shooting 1st , if you do then , get a gun like said above , and the right gun when fitted proper worth the extra bit of cash , with the price of the gun .!

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, bird said:

very nice gun, regards price dont know what there fetching  brand knew to compare  , with your gun  . ?  But being honest reading your post, you say its your 1st gun, and new to knocking few clays down. Ok you hit few on his ground , but  i dont think you can beat having your gun fitted proper by a gunsmith , and you might find  the sport (clays) is not for you ? Ive been shooting 40 years on/off  , thats live / clays  . Ive got a 686 Beretta  used it for bit of rough shooting, few times on a guest shoots partridge/pheasant /duck   and plenty of clays , so my gun  bit of alrounder , suppose  bit heavy just for live stuff, to carry around all day but done ok with it.With clays  was a 65%  on them , the 686  great for them. If it had been me  mate , i would have used me mates gun for 2-3 weeks  1st , to see if you really like shooting 1st , if you do then , get a gun like said above , and the right gun when fitted proper worth the extra bit of cash , with the price of the gun .!

I bought it off a gunsmith and he watched me fire it out the back of his shop, he said it was just under 1/4 inch small, but when wearing a shooting vest/jacket it would be perfect, so was fitted.

I bought second hand so that if I don't get on with it I wouldn't take much of a loss when moving it on, my intent is to use it for clays and pigeons mostly, and maybe a driven shoot at some stage.

I can't see myself not getting on with it to be honest, even if I'm crap at clays ?

Oh, and they're around £1500 new ?

Edited by andykllhr
8 hours ago, andykllhr said:

I bought it off a gunsmith and he watched me fire it out the back of his shop, he said it was just under 1/4 inch small, but when wearing a shooting vest/jacket it would be perfect, so was fitted.

I bought second hand so that if I don't get on with it I wouldn't take much of a loss when moving it on, my intent is to use it for clays and pigeons mostly, and maybe a driven shoot at some stage.

I can't see myself not getting on with it to be honest, even if I'm crap at clays ?

Oh, and they're around £1500 new ?

fair enough mate, and saved few quid  , you should do well with it, they have good reputation  .

• Thanks 1

I'm guessing you fall into the Browning camp as that's the nearest Miroku balance to. Miroku's are nice quality guns. I would buy one all day. Browning, Miroku, WInchester all have a very similar balance. Berreta's are completely different balance wise. It doesn't matter which camp you fall into though, so long as you found something you like. Miroku are often seen as cheaper Brownings (they make guns for Browning as well). They are a quality gun.

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1