Ratting small type ferrets

For many years i have always used smallish jills but am now favouring the hobs as they are now half the size of most small jills. They are all tough feisty little buggers and nippier than the average ferret but come good with the right owners and are all cracking workers.

I do a lot of big warrens long netting etc so you would expect a half decent size ferret to work all day but the hob side of the litters are little hunting machines and go all day. I never used to be keen on small skinny lurchers and small ferrets thought they would lack stamina especially in winter cold months but they have a similar prey drive to a little wild stoat or weasel.  

If you PM me your number next time I go longnetting etc I will do a bit of filming and send you some footage of them or some pics. The hobs are about one and a half toilet tubes long and they won't leave a set until it's empty you have to watch them popping their collars off underground. Mine are all albinos.

• Like 1

I like a smallish Hob about the size of a big Jill.

I don't mean the really small stuff like micros etc... I've tried all them out in various mixtures and they cannot take the pace. They have the will and the desire but their little bodies let them down on a big warren with some proper big bunnies kicking them about. Even when they get a good grip of the bunny, they tend to drag them all over the place and you end up digging more holes trying to recover them and the bunny.they are usually knackered half way through the day.

If you prefer to ferret warrens and leave a few bunnies behind etc and do no digging etc..they can be very useful.