Leupold vxiii 4.5-14x50 parallax info please

Afternoon lads

I’ve just been lucky enough to drop on this scope for what I think is a pittance considering what they go for on the second hand market, now I knew it would probably be overkill on a sub 12ft lb air rifle ( I have a Hw100s and a Titan manitou both .177) but I’m intending to apply for my fac next year so it could have it’s use somewhere down the line, however i mounted it on the Titan just to see what it’s like and on the lowest mag at 4.5x at 30 yards it’s absolutely spot on with a sharp crystal clear image but anything closer then the image gets slightly blurred, as i look at objects further out then again it becomes crystal clear right through from 4.5x to 14x.

Now as far as I’m aware this particular model doesn’t have parallax adjustment (there is no ao or side focus) but I believe they were set at the factory at 100 yds ???? but I may well be wrong so a couple of questions to you more knowledgeable lads.

Could it be that a previous owner has reset the parallax at a closer distance and if so would it be possible to reset to it even closer?.

Also this scope has the heavy duplex reticle but I’m almost certain I’ve read somewhere that the reticle can be changed to a mildot which would obviously be better for airgun use. I know that Leupold offer a custom built service whereby if you buy a new scope they will fit the reticle of your choice. So without having to sell a kidney are there any UK companies out there, or even a bloke in his garage can do it?

Hope all the above makes some sense and thanks in advance for any info?.

atb

Steve

98770A18-2D9B-4FAC-A9A4-8DF1C8C5C71A.jpeg

0AFBDBBB-B75A-4ED7-8FC4-9530807AEA95.jpeg

7F41E581-947F-4065-A9DC-05A9B97D5CFE.jpeg

BEA24BC8-2808-4F1A-AC5D-E3DFB8FE9C0C.jpeg

• Like 1

In all honesty Steve... and I think you know this already... a Leupold optic question on here is like asking a bicycle kid engineer about DB5 engine. Leupold is some high end glass. Your question could be answered better than ‘nice scope’ in the Center fire forum - as much as I agree with jjm.

Absolute credit to you mind, a Leu on an airgun. Bangin match up for with the gold rings and such too. Looks mint.

All the best.

8 hours ago, Rez said:

In all honesty Steve... and I think you know this already... a Leupold optic question on here is like asking a bicycle kid engineer about DB5 engine. Leupold is some high end glass. Your question could be answered better than ‘nice scope’ in the Center fire forum - as much as I agree with jjm.

Absolute credit to you mind, a Leu on an airgun. Bangin match up for with the gold rings and such too. Looks mint.

All the best.

Thanks Rez, yes I’m very pleased with it ? and you’re right,  I’ll try my luck on the c/f section.

atb

Steve

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 13:13, Steviec said:

Afternoon lads

I’ve just been lucky enough to drop on this scope for what I think is a pittance considering what they go for on the second hand market, now I knew it would probably be overkill on a sub 12ft lb air rifle ( I have a Hw100s and a Titan manitou both .177) but I’m intending to apply for my fac next year so it could have it’s use somewhere down the line, however i mounted it on the Titan just to see what it’s like and on the lowest mag at 4.5x at 30 yards it’s absolutely spot on with a sharp crystal clear image but anything closer then the image gets slightly blurred, as i look at objects further out then again it becomes crystal clear right through from 4.5x to 14x.

Now as far as I’m aware this particular model doesn’t have parallax adjustment (there is no ao or side focus) but I believe they were set at the factory at 100 yds ???? but I may well be wrong so a couple of questions to you more knowledgeable lads.

Could it be that a previous owner has reset the parallax at a closer distance and if so would it be possible to reset to it even closer?.

Also this scope has the heavy duplex reticle but I’m almost certain I’ve read somewhere that the reticle can be changed to a mildot which would obviously be better for airgun use. I know that Leupold offer a custom built service whereby if you buy a new scope they will fit the reticle of your choice. So without having to sell a kidney are there any UK companies out there, or even a bloke in his garage can do it?

Hope all the above makes some sense and thanks in advance for any info?.

atb

Steve

The scope can be returned to Leupold who will do pretty much whatever you want with it, it doesn't have to be New Build.   Be prepared for a pretty serious bill and probably 3 month wait!  One of mine went back for reticle and turret change!

There may be someone who can do the work more locally, good luck! :thumbs:

1 hour ago, Deker said:

The scope can be returned to Leupold who will do pretty much whatever you want with it, it doesn't have to be New Build.   Be prepared for a pretty serious bill and probably 3 month wait!  One of mine went back for reticle and turret change!

There may be someone who can do the work more locally, good luck! :thumbs:

Deker thanks for the heads up ?