A somerset invitation

Having virtually a baron year of stalking and absolutely desperate to get out I was lucky to get a phone call from my somerset pal seeing if I was free for a weekend of stalking. Obviously I was very excited to get down and enjoy the company and the somerset countryside. After a 3 hour trip down and settling into my bed and breakfast, a plan for a 4am start had been arranged. Alarm set for 3.20 up for a quick coffee and met Matt at a pub and then we were on our way to the 1st farm to scan the hedgelines and meadows hopefully for a nice buck for my wall. On arrival to 1st field a fox had started moving across to field which I was asked to take care off quickly. Took him at around eighty metres off sticks and quickly reloaded as Matt had caught a glimpse of a nice buck heading along the lower part of the field on a territory march so we had to cover some ground as quickly as possible so as to intercept him before he was over into the next field high with rapeseed. Wind was in our favour and a swift diagonal walk down using a large oak tree as our cover, once we got to the tree Matt ranged the buck at 140 metres and told me once I’m ready and comfortable on my sticks to take the shot. I put cross hairs slightly higher on the shoulder and squeezed the trigger with the return sound of a strike. The buck dropped on the spot, and then we both erupted with joy me extremely happy knowing I’d grassed a fine 6 point buck and Matt because he’s guided me to a decent buck. Walking down we can both see my prize and I’m literally over the moon with him ?729F091C-D634-472E-B80E-A9D42B6D5405.thumb.jpeg.3abe7e683e8b17aea7173278851d6338.jpeg

Matt marches back up the hill to fetch his truck so he can do a suspended gralloch.

Absolutely buzzing now with such early success being only 4.20 when I took the shot we moved on to another part of the farm to look for another buck. The rest of the morning we walked the rest of the farm having a quite chat on the way discussing over places to try that evening and the following morning. Next point of call was some well deserved breakfast and to try for a few pigeons and crows on a different farm. Unfortunate they hadn’t read the script and were virtually non existant. Later in the day Tim care and met us for a bbq and for an evening to try for a buck and fox or 2 back the same farm. The evening resulted in Tim grassing a murder buck with an unusual head. Was Defo a good one to take as would have caused a lot of damage come the rut, although I do wonder if Tim did regret actually squeezing the trigger on this one as it took all 3 of us taking turns to drag it up which seemed like k2 ? certainly kept us fit.

Somerset day 2 to follow5320D6BF-7E8D-4D82-9A67-63870BEBF936.thumb.jpeg.8aeea6950d0fad374adf4dd1e593617e.jpeg8F1BE75D-2FB1-4CB0-9D5E-22F427E15A74.thumb.jpeg.525a8cbbdd30d1fdffb5f284b780d311.jpegMatt might have some pics of the other buck??

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Couldn’t have worked out better that first buck and it was a good shot off the sticks mate?

Tim doesn’t have a pic of his buck so I’ll take one when I cape it later. Very unreasonable of him to shoot suck a big one so far away from the truck!

As soon as I pulled the trigger I thought shit thats' hell of a drag and when I saw the size of him I knew it was a job for younger men lol.The shot was off the hedge top as the sticks were just not high enough to see over .I'm sure the buck thought I was another buck as I bedded into the hedge for a shot as he span round and raked the hedge near him .He was only 50 yds away in very tall grass .I shot him a bit high as I didnt' want a deflection off the grass .Matt will put pics up I'm sure .Cheers for that mate and glad Ross got his medal ..

I might be younger mate but wasn’t feeling fitter lol not used to the hills very flat here in Essex. Be really happy if my heads make a medal. Think the weights should be ok it’s just how they score the rest I suppose. Both seem quite symmetrical the smaller one has a lot of pearling and quite thick coronets as does the other one but lacking in somewhat on the pearling. They work the mass out by dipping the antlers in the water? 

• Thanks 1