You should really leave it atleast a year Phil - your's might be a bit young yet. "Make it one season to drink the next"

And if you can try and only drink one bottle a year for the first few years so you end up with some 2, 3 years or older :yes:

Can i make sloe gin from the sloes that are still on the bushes now. When i read the other topics they said make in octoberish, but there are still plenty of sloes on the bushes so can i make some now?? cheers in advance

Even if it's too late to make sloe gin why not have a go at sloe wine, it's a lovely rose type wine and the alcohol content is enough to get you going after a couple of glasses.

Collect the fruit (only firm) and bag it into freezer bags about a pound in each, then freeze it for at least a week, de-frost and follow any fruit wine recipe, or do a Google for sloe wine, use about 3lb sugar to each gallon. Be patient then enjoy. :drink:

You should really leave it atleast a year Phil - your's might be a bit young yet. "Make it one season to drink the next"

And if you can try and only drink one bottle a year for the first few years so you end up with some 2, 3 years or older :yes:

cheers for the advise im sure i read leaving it much longer then 3 months didnt make no difference but like i say its my first go .i will try and leave some for longer but ive got the tast buds going now and i ant got that much will power.will try and leave one bottle alone :icon_redface::thumbs:

john b ive just read u can add almond essence to your sloe gin have u tried it and if so what u think of it phill

i added a few crushed almonds to one of this years batches, turned out allright. couldnt really taste the almonds but it made the liquor a lighter colour. i was told it makes it smoother aswell. i couldnt tell much difference but thats just me..

Ive been out this morning but the sloes arent as good as they were a couple of months back, so im wondering if i can make bramble gin? ive still got a few pound in the freezer and they were a nice, sweet crop. If i can is it just the same as sloe gin? ( sorry for being a pain) al

Ive been out this morning but the sloes arent as good as they were a couple of months back, so im wondering if i can make bramble gin? ive still got a few pound in the freezer and they were a nice, sweet crop. If i can is it just the same as sloe gin? ( sorry for being a pain) al

Yep, just the same but I'd be inclined to cut down on the sugar a bit as they are much sweeter fruit. I'd also suggest you divide your fruit in two and make some Bramble Vodka too. And if you have enough why not some blackberry wine ? :drink:

Guest little_lloyd

Make bramble whisky :yes:

• 3 weeks later...

Just a thought and probably tryin to teach the converted!!

Pick sloes early and freeze, thaw when your ready to use.

The skins split and it saves all that pricking!

Try the same recipie you have for sloe gin and replace the gin with cheap scotch, its very good!!!

Can i make sloe gin from the sloes that are still on the bushes now. When i read the other topics they said make in octoberish, but there are still plenty of sloes on the bushes so can i make some now?? cheers in advance

Hello Trappa. All the remaining sloes round here are well shrivelled and I would consider them useless as you need the juices for real flavour. I made a superb drink last year using my sloe gin recipe but using a cheap Lidl vodka instead of gin. I usually add a teaspoonful of almond essence to the gin but didn't bother with the vodka.

Greengrass3