Lamp shy

I think it might be time for some night vision again as the rabbits on my golf club perm are soooooooo lamp shy at the moment.

I went out last week and even with a dim light they just bolt when they see any light at all.

Tonight I went out and to be fair I didn't see that many but I tried red, green, orange and blue filters and as soon as they clocked it they just ran for cover without freezing at all. Very bloody frustrating. Plenty of woodcock on there feeding and I could have picked one up I got that close but the bunnies weren't so obliging.

Change of tactics needed I think?

4 minutes ago, villaman said:

Thermal is the way to go ,but bloody expensive 

With night vision they still see the glow of the red ir  

That's what's putting me off pal. I was convinced they could see it on my nitesite. That's part of the reason I got rid?

• Like 1

They have no idea I`m about with these.

No where near the expense of thermal or any night vision, - they go well with a beer and a warm fire and above all else, they are deadly to rabbits.

Employ both methods Matt, if you like :thumbs:.

Trap line of 50 usually, 5 left, checked 3 times/ day.

The land owners love the " no nonsense approach" of shooting and snaring, for rabbit control.

IMG_0710.JPG.41d92e6c1a7a1007aadefc470a6a2e2b.JPG

1 hour ago, mattwhite said:

I think it might be time for some night vision again as the rabbits on my golf club perm are soooooooo lamp shy at the moment.

I went out last week and even with a dim light they just bolt when they see any light at all.

Tonight I went out and to be fair I didn't see that many but I tried red, green, orange and blue filters and as soon as they clocked it they just ran for cover without freezing at all. Very bloody frustrating. Plenty of woodcock on there feeding and I could have picked one up I got that close but the bunnies weren't so obliging.

Change of tactics needed I think?

7 minutes ago, mark williams said:

They have no idea I`m about with these.

No where near the expense of thermal or any night vision, - they go well with a beer and a warm fire and above all else, they are deadly to rabbits.

Employ both methods Matt, if you like :thumbs:.

Trap line of 50 usually, 5 left, checked 3 times/ day.

The land owners love the " no nonsense approach"

IMG_0710.JPG.41d92e6c1a7a1007aadefc470a6a2e2b.JPG

I find using minimal light is effective but most people seem to want much more than is needed for the particular range they are shooting at. Sure the back stop needs viewing sometimes but if your on a familiar venue that you know is safe then just enough is good enough.

EDIT: dunno how this post got in this qouted bit 

Edited by some bloke
  • Like 1