goat cull

goat stalking could soon be a new sport in the uk.

the goats in snowdonia are getting out of hand a bit,and the snp would rather stalking to any other method of control.

the revanue from stalking would be put back into the park so cant be dad can it

Feral goats are a grand quarry. Used to hutn them with the lurcher before thwe ban and it was a truely exciting hunt IMHO.......though we often struggled to get near them. The hardiest animal in the UK i reckon. I have alot of respect for them.

I had another mate that took feral goats with a strong breed of dog,he was very sucessful with it until he met the wrong billy,it hammered the dog one day into the head and knoched a few of its teeth out,since then hes been trying to get a replacement but nothing came up to scratch.i gave him a wheaten/greyhound a while back but it was too cautious,only gripping when safe and at the chance of getting a slam from the goat it would release its grip and the billy would take flight with the dog in hot pursuit,this he told me happened a few times and there'd be a mile distance from where the dog first encountered the billy to where it actually stopped it,he was given to someone else to do a different job.Ditch the man in red lives off of this activity,he loves doing it and he is some crack shot.I saw him knocking a big lad one shot while it was running.When i checked the goat later he had shot it in front of the shoulder and it just fell where it was hit.the other man did the mopping up,made sure it was out of its misery quickly.The hardest thing is to get the goats to stop moving and provide a safe and fatal shot.Trying to keep up with the buggers is flippin hard running.I have a lot of respect for these animals after seeing them in action,the warning i got from my mate was ''dont blagguard them,if ye think ye cant kill em clean then dont take a shot'',which i think is the right way to proceed.But looking forward to another day soon.

Hi Jigsaw, i always found an "arse merchant" ideal for the billy goats, that way there was less chance of getting battered. My old dog used to grab the billy goat and pull him backward, just avioding those huge horns...it was a good technique. And, incidentally, hunting goat doesnt make the dog a stock worrier...i have slipped my dogs through a flock of sheep to get to the goats. Dogs know the difference IMHO....great post, thats for sharing it...