My mate has a collie/grey with touch of whippet she is about 19 months old

had plenty of exercise and started to work the lamp

well with no problem.

But the last couple of times she has been out she has started to cramp up

on just one of her back legs even on just normal exercise.

she doesnt seem dehydrated and has good quality diet.

Any advice would be great !!

My mate has a collie/grey with touch of whippet she is about 19 months old

had plenty of exercise and started to work the lamp

well with no problem.

But the last couple of times she has been out she has started to cramp up

on just one of her back legs even on just normal exercise.

she doesnt seem dehydrated and has good quality diet.

Any advice would be great !!

hi mate i have bin racing greyhounds all my life get yourself down to sainsburys get vitamin E and a tube of effervescent vitamin C put them in warm water in there feeding bowls before there food goes let them dissolve then add food every day you can buy italain choped tomatoes 11ozs can put half the can in it takes 3 to 4 days you will not have the problem again if you do gust email me regs steveuk :thumbs:

Are you sure it's just cramp? If the dog has damaged IE pulled or torn a muscle then that would have a similar effect. She'd be fine until she uses the leg hard, then the pain would kick in. I have only come across 2 working lurchers in my life that didn't have scar tissue in a muscle somewhere in their body due to a pull or a tear at some time.

What happens is that the muscle heals, probably not as well as it should if the owner didn't know the dog had done it at the time, then scar tissue forms: this tissue is not elastic like normal muscle tissue, so when the dog does a bit of work the whole muscle tightens up and is painful.

The only way you can be sure is to get the dog checked out by a GOOD Greyhound man who will tell you if the muscle is damaged like this. And then the only thing you can do is massage the dog well before you work it. The muscle will still tighten up, but regular massage before and after exercise and the use of a Portamag will keep the dog running. Dogs in this situation will be OK, but will be 'short runners', in other words, they won't do so well on long courses or with a lot of work. All depends on the severity of the damage.

Sorry, this is going slightly off topic, but has anyone else tried using McTimony animal chiropractors to assess and work on these type of injuries? I have had my old lurcher treated by one a couple of times, and tbh, I was much happier with this type of treatment than that administered by a greyhound man that you would meet in a lay- by :whistling: .

cramp indogs accures when the dog is restting after a run.

if run hard ,the muscles will contract,and go into spasom.

the only real way to help stop it is to up fluid intake before and during exercise,and a few warm up runs should help

Tinned tomatoes contain potassium (kcl), which in everyday terms is the salt used in muscle contraction, so may be why some have had succes in treating cramps. You could try a dog specific electrolyte supplyment, avoid horse ones as they are designed to replace sweat loss so high in sodium (Na) and increasing the Na might exacerbate rather than help. Don't over do th supplyment as high kcl can cause a number of problems including cardiac arrest.