Couple Questions About Kits

jtaylor

I have bred the same line of ferrets for generations and tbh due to being busy/lazy the kits don't get that daily attention but I have found they just don't need it. I have never bred from nippy parents and the kits just seem to be naturally very easy to handle, the kits I bred this year haven't so much as nipped me once (going to get bitten now!). Would anyone agree that ferrets can genetically predisposed to be friendly and easy to handle? Or am I just lucky!!!

I responses to the original post, at four months a ferrets could definitely draw blood and lock on if it chose to.

Good luck with the coming season everyone.

I would agree with you on that one,Picked up two sandy jill kits of a bloke as I was choosing which to have I said to him "christ mate you must have handled these a lot". He replied "they have had hardly any as i've been so busy working", I've not had a single nip or bite. He did say the parents never have bit, so yes I think there is some thing in what you say. Atb

Cheers Arry

At 4 months old and their biting without drawing blood. Their playing with you and seeing how much the can get away with. Some kits are more playful than others. Iv some ferrets at 2 years old that play and weasil war dance jumping and mouthing but they never draw blood. Then iv ferrets that have never even tried mouthing not even when they were hungry. I personally wouldnt class it as niipping as their not doing it to hurt you.their very much like a pup or a kitten playing.

• Like 1

There lies your problem.... Handled every other day... Atb dc

Does it really make that much difference. My older hob is fine never bit me once (he was a rescue) I thought spending an hour with them every other day now there abit older would be fine?? I ain't asking why there biting by the way if you read my post its about how hard can they bit at that age

Once they are set in there ways and used to be handled you don't need to handle every day. It don't hurt but once they trust you it is in the bag so worth putting extra effort in when they are young

The answer to how hard is pretty hard mine demolish chicken carcasses bones and all for the most part. They are probably just messing about like they do but keep handling. More for when your working you don't want them being easily startled

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1

I have bred the same line of ferrets for generations and tbh due to being busy/lazy the kits don't get that daily attention but I have found they just don't need it. I have never bred from nippy parents and the kits just seem to be naturally very easy to handle, the kits I bred this year haven't so much as nipped me once (going to get bitten now!). Would anyone agree that ferrets can genetically predisposed to be friendly and easy to handle? Or am I just lucky!!!

I responses to the original post, at four months a ferrets could definitely draw blood and lock on if it chose to.

Good luck with the coming season everyone.

I would agree with you on that one,Picked up two sandy jill kits of a bloke as I was choosing which to have I said to him "christ mate you must have handled these a lot". He replied "they have had hardly any as i've been so busy working", I've not had a single nip or bite. He did say the parents never have bit, so yes I think there is some thing in what you say. Atb

Cheers Arry

yes there is some thing in that. I had a young jill kit who from day one was as good as good with little input from me. The guy had loads of ferrets and was working long hours so no way were all them kits handled regular. But she is great

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...