22.250 ranges

just to clear up a discussion -what is the average range you will take a fox with a 22.250 whilst lamping as i regularly take them at 100 -130 yds and for me with my 8x56 scmidht 190 yds is a long shot but now i have people saying 250 is an average and 350 is a normal shot?am i squeaking in too far and should be taking further or what i dont want maximum killing ranges but what you actually average your range at with this calibre

Edited by dogga

wouldnt stray much further than 200 yards me sen, have heard alot of people talk about shots upto 400 yards but thats a f**kin long way in the dark! never witnessed it myself tho. If you've got the kit then im not sayin its impossible. :thumbs:

Regards

Aaron

Dogga,

the 22-250 will take foxes to 400 yards, and further but the skill has to be there, you have to know exactly what your bullet is going to do at that range.

cross wind and bullet drop all play greatly at the further distances but before you take a shot on live quarry, i would suggest a few weeks shooting out to these greater distances.

but for the average shot two hundred would sound about right to me, as most of my shots are in around there, but if needs be and a safe shot comes up i push the boat out so to speak, i shoot the .243 and have taken foxes at around 400 and slightly over on several occosations this season, but these were calm nights and safe backstops, range practise, and see how you go at the greater distances if your hitting well at a certain range then put it in the field too to that distance. if shooting well at three hundred try taking quarry at that range, but you have to be close with your range estimations, or i would suggest you purchase a good quality rangefinder like leica. good luck in your efforts. :thumbs:

wouldnt stray much further than 200 yards me sen, have heard alot of people talk about shots upto 400 yards but thats a f**kin long way in the dark! never witnessed it myself tho. If you've got the kit then im not sayin its impossible. :thumbs:

Regards

Aaron

thankyou i would totally agree .fair enough the 22.250 is capable of shooting further but personally in the dark over 200 is a chuffing long way for me and surely if your getting distances much further then a 243 would be better.the discussion i am refering to also had talk of a crow at 350 yds with the same calibre!!!

Dogga,

the 22-250 will take foxes to 400 yards, and further but the skill has to be there, you have to know exactly what your bullet is going to do at that range.

cross wind and bullet drop all play greatly at the further distances but before you take a shot on live quarry, i would suggest a few weeks shooting out to these greater distances.

but for the average shot two hundred would sound about right to me, as most of my shots are in around there, but if needs be and a safe shot comes up i push the boat out so to speak, i shoot the .243 and have taken foxes at around 400 and slightly over on several occosations this season, but these were calm nights and safe backstops, range practise, and see how you go at the greater distances if your hitting well at a certain range then put it in the field too to that distance. if shooting well at three hundred try taking quarry at that range, but you have to be close with your range estimations, or i would suggest you purchase a good quality rangefinder like leica. good luck in your efforts. :thumbs:

snap shot that is good advice and appreciated but would you personally want to shoot at those ranges if you could be squeaking foxes up to 100-130 yds ?then its job done with some in reserve for your more lamp shy buggers

just to clear up a discussion -what is the average range you will take a fox with a 22.250 whilst lamping as i regularly take them at 100 -130 yds and for me with my 8x56 scmidht 190 yds is a long shot but now i have people saying 250 is an average and 350 is a normal shot?am i squeaking in too far and should be taking further or what i dont want maximum killing ranges but what you actually average your range at with this calibre

I have a very good idea what has led to this and I've a fair idea where its going!

What is an average????

Dogga....sod the average, it doesn't matter if you take them long or short...you take them at the distance you are happy/confident with, and that IS the right distance.

Trust me, if someone is telling you 250yards is the Average and 350yards is Normal that is Bullshit. These shots happen but if someone drops a fox at 350 yards it is not normal, they would be jumping up and down all round the pub telling everyone! Whilst these shots and longer do happen, if anyone drops a fox at 200-250 yards they are pretty happy. The vast majority of foxes are taken closer than this.

NOW... add the lamping factor. Night shooting is inherently more difficult than daylight..."350 yards lamping"...f**k me I would expect a credit in the NRA magazine and would never let my mates forget about it. First off theres not many places you could physically take that sort of shot and very few places you could take it safely at night!

OK the 22-250..depending on the load you are shooting, you will be in the order of 250-350ft lb at 500yards. So, if we are talking power, the 22-250 has plenty of power to stop a fox out to 500-600yards or even further but ....just because it's possible it doesn't mean you have to start trying to hit foxes 600yards away.

Don't be led, don't believe all the hype and don't try anything you are not confident about out in the field. Push yourself by all means, we all do, but take it steady and find your own limits. After all the average size prick is 12" (isn't it)!?

Edited by Deker
Dogga,

snap shot that is good advice and appreciated but would you personally want to shoot at those ranges if you could be squeaking foxes up to 100-130 yds ?then its job done with some in reserve for your more lamp shy buggers

Dogga, it is the lamp shy foxes i am taking at these distances, they run till they feel safe and stop you watch and see if i'm right, As deker say's it's what you can hit that counts, i practiced for about six months before taking shots to these distances.

And to put things in perspective, i was out shooting last week leaning over the bonnet of a jeep, calling in a fox for about 20 mins, and was shaking so much i missed at 170 yards, :censored: i've taking hundreds at this distance but on the night the cold got the better of me, so think before you pull the trigger. i like to try and get the fox that is lamp shy and won't come in....so i had to practise to get him but it's paying off.....

good luck and try and push the boat out now and again, and you will learn more about what your gun and bullet are doing at greater ranges. :thumbs:

Dogga,

I think we are all talking in similar terms here and we all love to bag the very long shots BUT.......shooting is all about taking every advantage you can, the best rifle, the best scope, the best ammo, as much practice a possible, the best support you can get for the shot, and taking the easy shots. Anyone who shoots fox will tell you it is far better to call the fox in as close as you can before taking the shot. The closer the better, you are more likely to guarantee an efficient humane kill. I've had several at 25-30yards, its a real buzz when you can bring them in that close, you are really pumping!