Hunting Up

Anybody have much bother with a dog hunting up after a chase on the lamp? My dog hasn't been to bad when there's not much rabbits about but when on anything else or a lot of rabbits about he will rake up the full field. Still a young dog, hopefully the more running he gets it will stop

try staying still with lamp off till it comes back then carry on soon suss it

but some just hunt up I found worse with terrier crosses seen some hit edges dissappear for the night get back to motor they pop out near you not for me

• Like 1

All terrier crosses I keep one took 3 seasons before it was right lol got 2 just now one has been out with the lamp 4 times can lamp of the lead comes straight back once it misses 2nd dog has been out 2 times and is lamping of the lead as well plus straight back as well couisn't beleive how easy they were to bring on

Edited by nothernlite

Best thing to do is pick easy runs for him in fields with only little pockets of rabbit

As soon as he catches or misses keep the lamp of call his name or whistle what ever he recalls to once back on lead make big fuss of him and move on in no time he will be flying back

But if he misses dont keep lamp on following him round the field

He's a bull grey/ saluki collie grey type, was keen to use his nose from a early age. I should have discouraged it more and got out with the lamp earlier so partly my fault. I also do a fair bit of bushing ect which doesn't help matters, suppose can't have the best of both worlds. Seen other dogs that not been lamped before straight back after a miss instead of crashing through hedges, over fences and into woods ect so just depends on the dog I suppose. Dog is only young so still time yet