BodyGrip Trap

Guest Ditch_Shitter

I think it's a dead Dog waiting to happen, the way that set up appears. Judging by the percievable thickness of that rebar and the apparrent size of those double sprung jaws, set so tight to the entrance of that cubby. But then, most US trappers I ever heard an opinion from seem to think Dogs are just someone elses vermin who enrage the trappers by 'spoiling' their sets with their presence. No Fur Cheque in a Dog.

That said; It's just a home made Pan. Ye can buy those things, ready made, from most US Trap Supplies companies. Clip them on and away ye go, apparrently. Seems like a fine idea, in principle.

One more tool in the box.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Fisher?! Big, powerful, Evil f*ckers them, mate! So that could well be a #220? Stop a badger in its tracks! Slay any Dog on the spot.

Anyway, like I say; It's showing a bad example of how 'We' may utilise a BG.

Check out the ready made pans. They do seem a good idea on, eg. mink. But then I yet wonder if those dainty, bouncy buggers might not skip clean over a pan?

Again, I see the yanks have a specially made 'Pan Expander' thing they use on their mink steel traps? Fills up more space between the jaws so the bugger has more chance of treading on it.

I guess a design like that foot plate may be effective though on less bouncy creatures in uk? Say, rats and other, more methodical mustalids? Things like ferrets would tend to walk straight onto such an obstruction. Probably squirrels too. I think there'd be the main use of them.

Personaly, I've used BG's on rats. Works, with a modicum of modification. But I think I'd sooner use a pan, like that. Just seems like less f*cking about. :yes:

FECK ME ,

THE PRICE OF PLYWOOD MUST BE VERY CHEAP IN THE STATES ..................... EITHER THAT OR THEY LOVE WORK ,

I KEEP HEARING OLD GWs WORDS ............. " THE SIMPLEST OF SETS CATCHES THE WARYIEST OF PREDATORS "

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING :thumbs:

I think it's a dead Dog waiting to happen, the way that set up appears. Judging by the percievable thickness of that rebar and the apparrent size of those double sprung jaws, set so tight to the entrance of that cubby. But then, most US trappers I ever heard an opinion from seem to think Dogs are just someone elses vermin who enrage the trappers by 'spoiling' their sets with their presence. No Fur Cheque in a Dog.

That said; It's just a home made Pan. Ye can buy those things, ready made, from most US Trap Supplies companies. Clip them on and away ye go, apparrently. Seems like a fine idea, in principle.

One more tool in the box.

looks like a 160 bodygrip ditchy, as they kill fisher better than a 220 gw.
Guest Ditch_Shitter
looks like a 160 bodygrip ditchy, as they kill fisher better than a 220 gw.

Interesting point. I once asked a US forums opinions on a suitable size for something and noted how they were divided between 120 and 116 (If my memory serves?). I guess the bigger size delivers more force, but the smaller one does it with that pin point accuracy to the exact spot?

All good stuff! :good:

It looks like a version of what the yanks calla bucket cubbie type in WWW.TRAPS4KIDS.COM don;t be put of by the title! have a look at the main page & you will see what Imean if you look at the left hand side of the page you;ll see a block titled trapping info click on the various topic;s [blind setts /trap sizes/wire~cable etc] I agree with D.S it;s just waiting to catch some one;s dog/cat even on this Americian site they say do not set it near domestic animals i hope this little input has been of some help lads best regards Steve

Stealing from Americans ? now there's a novel idea - LOL. Here is the way I set up my body grips with a pan and a lumber tie plate, rivits & lumber banding material. I now attatch asphalt shingles the same size as the metal plat and rivited on in all 4 corners. The pan comes off every time the trap snaps and therefore the animal does not destroy it. It is the best thing I did to the body grippers and very rarely miss a visitor. Picked up a big black mink this morning in a snow run with a BG with this pan set up. Deadly on otters & fishers. I will post some pics of the set trsap tomorrow as well as the minks.

100_0322.jpg

100_0321.jpg

Guest Ditch_Shitter

I like the way that pan obviously just slides on there, Ace. Certainly demonstrates the simplicity of the principle nicely :yes:

Only thing I can't work out though is:

The pan comes off every time the trap snaps and therefore the animal does not destroy it.

But, surely, within a few seconds of the trap snapping, that animal should be stone dead, shouldn't it? And unconciouse just about the moment the bars strike. Whack me across the base of the brain stem with what ammounts to a scaffold bar and I know I certainly wouldn't then be about to destroy Anything! :icon_eek:

But, surely, within a few seconds of the trap snapping, that animal should be stone dead, shouldn't it? And unconciouse just about the moment the bars strike. Whack me across the base of the brain stem with what ammounts to a scaffold bar and I know I certainly wouldn't then be about to destroy Anything!

My first pans were made out of 1/4" hardware cloth and were wired onto the triggers. When the trap fired , the pan would end up right in the animals face and they would start chewing on it and sometimes destroy it after one catch. In theory is that they should all get caught right behind the ears and lights out but in reality , they get caught all sorts of ways , especially raccoons that like to reach into the holes and cubbies. Switching to the removable and vertually indestructable pans made a huge improvement plus if I ever find the need to just use the wire trigger , i can remove the pan , bend them up & go. Here are a few more pics. The big mink has porkupine quills embedded in it's chin. Both these mink were black which means they had escaped from a mink ranch somewhere. I caught them both on the same pond way back in the bush. The pans are heavy for sure and that makes them very sensative but I like that because I catch every ermine and red squirrel as well as the others.

100_0692.jpg

100_0693.jpg

100_0694.jpg

100_0695.jpg

Guest Ditch_Shitter
My first pans were made out of 1/4" hardware cloth and were wired onto the triggers. When the trap fired , the pan would end up right in the animals face and they would start chewing on it and sometimes destroy it after one catch. In theory is that they should all get caught right behind the ears and lights out but in reality , they get caught all sorts of ways , especially raccoons that like to reach into the holes and cubbies.

I see. 'Learning all the time'. I guess it's just a matter of perspective right now. I don't trap for a 'Fur Cheque', per se, so I guess that lowers my drive to catch and hold at any cost. Only I personally prefer to find the sets that ensure a clean kill. In fact ~ crazy as I'm sure this'll seem to yeself ~ I once went absolutely ballistic over what appears to have been a few faulty Mouse Traps I recieved amongst a batch and which were leaving me with live but wounded mice.

Anyway, that bigger mink there has my mouth watering! :icon_eek: Again, he'd be of absolutely no financial value to me. But What a beauty to find ye had, eh? That tail would be on my hat band :yes:

And That's " Hardware Cloth ", is it? Second shot down? And the scales are lifted from my eyes! Good lord! Do you know what? I've heard your guys refering to that stuff for years and years now. I'd figured out in my own head that it must be like expanded steel mesh or something. Always thought of it that way. But that's, what? It Looks Like what we'd call " Roofing Felt ". But I guess it's not, because that would be too flexible.

:hmm: Looking at it again though ..... maybe not, in that situation? Tell me; Would that be the sort of bitumen sheet, covered with sharp grit, that one would put on the roof of a shed or cover a flat roof in? Again; I always surmised that " Shingles " might be (what we'd call) tiles, made of " Roofing felt ". Oh but then, I understand what we call a drain is what you call a " Tile " ? :wallbash: F*ck help me! What the hell have I gotten myself into here?! Shoot me, someone! :laugh: