The Victorian Hammer Gun

With the change in the keeping and licencing of the gun laws after Hungerford saw a large majority of hammerguns go to the furnace. For keeping them it became law for a gun cabinet which in most cases were more expensive than the gun which resulted in most been handed in to be destroyed, a large number of these were by the provincial gun maker and ironmonger who retailed guns made in Birmingham and with it went the art of the Victorian gun maker and the Damascus barrel .Most of these guns were under lever with half and full cock hammers mostly 30 inch Damascus barrel true cylinder and black powder proof although later they were nitro proofed and choked, those that were choked were stamped on the barrels just beyond flats {Not For Ball} Enclosed are two views of a stand of under lever hammer guns that I rescued and restored and reproofed all are by local gun makers of the North East .These guns are our Heritage we hold them in trust for those that come after

Feltwad

A Stand Of Victorian Hammer Guns

P1010006_zpsjoudqw5g.jpg

P1010001_zpsixq12jaq.jpg

Edited by Feltwad
  • Like 4

Wonderful collection and nothing wrong with either external hammers or the Jones underlever action. :victory:

Do you use BP shells at all?>

Has one well known sportsman once said A gun without hammers is like a spaniel with out ears .

Yes I load and shoot more black powder than nitro and have done for the past 6 decades

Feltwad

The Erskine Cartridge Loader

P1010004_zpsfkx0wdmn.jpg

Old Black Powder Tins

P1010001_zpsxzcx7nvv.jpg

Edited by Feltwad
  • Like 1

Wonderful collection and nothing wrong with either external hammers or the Jones underlever action. :victory: Do you use BP shells at all?>

Has one well known sportsman once said A gun without hammers is like a spaniel with out ears . Yes I load and shoot more black powder than nitro and have done for the past 6 decadesFeltwadThe Erskine Cartridge LoaderP1010004_zpsfkx0wdmn.jpgOld Black Powder TinsP1010001_zpsxzcx7nvv.jpg

Fantastic photos, thank you.

I particularly like that loading machine, not seen one like it before.

Beautiful guns thankyou for sharing them.I really like the fourth one up.

That is a local built gun by Ward Thompson of Stockton -on-Tees and used by my grandfather it is a live pigeon gun with 2.3/4 inch chambers very straight when shouldered making it shoot high when shooting pigeons from a trap ,this was a sport that was banned in the 1920,s

Feltwad

Beautiful guns thankyou for sharing them.I really like the fourth one up.

That is a local built gun by Ward Thompson of Stockton -on-Tees and used by my grandfather it is a live pigeon gun with 2.3/4 inch chambers very straight when shouldered making it shoot high when shooting pigeons from a trap ,this was a sport that was banned in the 1920,s

Feltwad

It's wonderful that it's still in your family. I have a 1906 oberndorf mauser that was my dad's that I'll keep forever and my daughter will have it when I'm gone.

Before the hammer gun first became popular in the 1860, there was before a breech loader known has the pin fire . These were only popular for arround 45 plus years when most changed to the centre fire .The pin fire on the continent was made mostly in Belguim until the 1940s most in 16 bore although smaller bore sizes were made

Feltwad

Pin Fire Cartridges

P1010018_zpsqkrebgdw.jpg

A 12 bor Pin Fire by Askey Of Bedale North Yorkshire

P1010015_zpstlcqiezj.jpg

Edited by Feltwad