On Creance

Shamo

I have heard of Harris Hawk males being out flying loose within 10 Days etc, etc. I have my first Harris Hawk flying on the Creance around 30 ft, had him since 6th December. He has been flying well inside about 20ft, I took him outside for the first time this morning, he was a little 'phased' by his new surroundings, but came after only a few seconds. He was on a wooden post in a Car Park with Traffic nearby and Trees all around. I tried him at 15 ft, but he was a little too distracted so went to 10ft for his first 'morsel', he came fine. I then moved out to 20ft and he came again, then moved out to 30ft, he flew about 7 times in total and the last time let him have a feast! What a 'rush' seeing a Bird you trained react that way to you and know you must be doing something right. He flew at 1lb 5oz (with anklets and Jesses) and ate 3 Chicks and a Head this morning. See how he behaves tomorrow morning. I dropped his weight pretty low, now bringing him up to see what weight he will fly to me at with no hesitation, or very little anyway. Had him down to 1lb 31/2oz and it was instant, indoors. This is where the pulse rate goes up, having him outside AND have him at higher weight. I know to some of you this is nothing, but this is my first Hawk. I am 43 and it makes me feel like a kid getting a present.....lmao.

I meant to say he was born June '07.

Edited by Shamo

Good on you. I to am at the same point as your self with my FHH. I am also a little older than yourself but it still makes you feel good. :thumbs: Problem I am having is with that word work; through the week I feed her on the fist and only at weekends do I have time to do outside training. this is a slower way but I am getting there. Off for two weeks over xmas my goal is to have her flying free then. Good luck

I have heard of Harris Hawk males being out flying loose within 10 Days etc, etc. I have my first Harris Hawk flying on the Creance around 30 ft, had him since 6th December. He has been flying well inside about 20ft, I took him outside for the first time this morning, he was a little 'phased' by his new surroundings, but came after only a few seconds. He was on a wooden post in a Car Park with Traffic nearby and Trees all around. I tried him at 15 ft, but he was a little too distracted so went to 10ft for his first 'morsel', he came fine. I then moved out to 20ft and he came again, then moved out to 30ft, he flew about 7 times in total and the last time let him have a feast! What a 'rush' seeing a Bird you trained react that way to you and know you must be doing something right. He flew at 1lb 5oz (with anklets and Jesses) and ate 3 Chicks and a Head this morning. See how he behaves tomorrow morning. I dropped his weight pretty low, now bringing him up to see what weight he will fly to me at with no hesitation, or very little anyway. Had him down to 1lb 31/2oz and it was instant, indoors. This is where the pulse rate goes up, having him outside AND have him at higher weight. I know to some of you this is nothing, but this is my first Hawk. I am 43 and it makes me feel like a kid getting a present.....lmao.

I meant to say he was born June '07.

I wouldn't take alot of notice about how soon your bird is flying free some are different to others take your time work him nice with plenty of input and you will be sure to get it all back when flying free and hunting wish you all the luck with him take your time and you will get plenty of good results. :thumbs: Good luck :rocker:

Thanks for replies and advice. I had him out again this morning, flying at 1lb51/2oz. He is now coming the full length of Creance off the ground and on a Post, about 50 ft, with little if any hesitation. I want to introduce the Rabbit Lure this Week before I fly him free......BUT unless I lengthen the Creance I am going to have to let him fly...FREE.....soon! Better get his weight spot on, or will be bringing home just a Creance!!!.....lol.

If he's coming full length of the creance at 1lb 5 1/2oz personally I'd keep him at that until he's ready for hunting, then adjust his weight when you see how he performs in the field, you may need to drop it to enter him you may not depending on how committed he is to the chase. My MHH hunts at 1lb 5 1/2 oz about 2 1/2 doc mantains his weight. I think its important to practice getting him off the lure before he's flying free just in case he kills before you expect him to, you want to get it right at this stage. Good luck.

Just remember that the amount given as reward should be equal to what you've asked the bird to do & be carefull going closer & closer until the bird comes to you, you're basically teaching it that if it waits you'll come closer & it'll have to do less, start off close with small tit bit get it's attention & get further away making rewards larger. If the bird doesn't leave instant & it is well manned it may be to high in weight, it could also be a sign of being too low so go carefull, to make it easier measure the amount of food & take it's weight go up or down in say 5 gram or 1/8 ounce increments until your sure.

Was told to let him have a whole Rabbit today, in his Weathering, on his Perch. I went out the other night and got a few with the Rifle. I left him go until 12 noon, which is about 3 Hours later than normally fed. I was anticipating a little hesitancy....he dived right onto the Head end, I was quite taken aback and jumped a little. I was also pretty chuffed, the way he was 'killing' it and giving it a good going over! I am walking past him to get him used to me being around on a kill. He first off started protecting his kill, now he seems more relaxed with me there watching him. I will let him have a real 'feast' and then tomorrow, when I fly him I will use a back leg for him to come to. Will now feed him whole Rabbit and DOC combination. I will crush the Heads and let him have the Skulls too. Thanks for the advice guys, keep it coming.

Was told to let him have a whole Rabbit today, in his Weathering, on his Perch. I went out the other night and got a few with the Rifle. I left him go until 12 noon, which is about 3 Hours later than normally fed. I was anticipating a little hesitancy....he dived right onto the Head end, I was quite taken aback and jumped a little. I was also pretty chuffed, the way he was 'killing' it and giving it a good going over! I am walking past him to get him used to me being around on a kill. He first off started protecting his kill, now he seems more relaxed with me there watching him. I will let him have a real 'feast' and then tomorrow, when I fly him I will use a back leg for him to come to. Will now feed him whole Rabbit and DOC combination. I will crush the Heads and let him have the Skulls too. Thanks for the advice guys, keep it coming.

Just be careful mate when feeding stuff which has been shot the slightest piece of lead in the crop can cause lead poisoning. I would always go for a head shot knowing that it has been hit in the head then throw the head in a bush or the bin. good luck bud keep us posted :thumbs:

Thanks for tip. I don't find any Lead after it has been shot with a .223...lol. Don't have to gut them much either!!...lol. I weighed him at his usual feed time of around 8.30am -9.30am, he was 1lb 7.98oz. Far too heavy as it turns out, for flying anyway. I tried him at half length of Creance came instantly, tried him full length and again came instantly, both times to whistle. Tried him then at just past end of Creance, not interested after having a couple bits of DOC. Flew up into small Tree. I went to get him and he flew down at about 6 ft, to my Fist. I finished off by getting him to come just 6ft to Fist off a Perch, in same flying area. He was obviously too heavy and full from yesterday. I had to know though, so now I do. Don't let him gorge and then try to fly him the next day, especially at that weight. He is definitely a 1lb 5oz-1lb 51/2oz training weight Bird. If I hadn't tried it I would always be wondering....no harm done, fnished on a good note. I only let him have one DOC this morning too, so see what happens tomorrow. Hope you are not getting p*ssed off with these Posts, but if I tell you how I am going, someone might be able to steer me the right way.

Ive always found its not the distance your bird will fly, its the speed at which she comes to you will tell you when she is ready to fly loose. If she is flying, say 50 yards the second you whistle without hesitation, then introduce her to the lure and fly her free. If she is looking, and thinking about it then she aint ready to fly free.

My last harris i took from the aviary and was flying free in a record time of 4 days. The first time a flew one i spent weeks before plucking up the courage to let her loose. Its a BIG step ( one of three) and the first time you do it every possible scenario will be running through your head.

Good luck , al.

Flew Bird this morning at 1lb 6oz dead on. He was very good, in my opinion, came instant off ground, out of low Branch and off a set of Football Goal posts. Done all 3 couple times each, he ate 21/2 DOC's during flying, finishing with a good 3/4 of a Chick. The Creance was loose on the Ground at full length, I just flew him around it on the Footbal Pitch if you get my drift. To all intents and purposes he was free, with me having that little 'back up'. The main thing was it was all instant response to whistle and shout of his Name. Seemed pretty good with traffic along main road, not so good with the Bus though....lol. I struggle with the attention you get with having a Bird on your Arm, I tend to walk the other way, takes me longer to get Home!!!......lol.

Will be trying him FREE tomorrow, if on weight!! I can feel my b*llucks growing even now.......lmao.

Took Bird out again this morning. Left him until about 10.30 today, because I knew I would be trying the Lure and a whole Rabbit. I weighed him and he was 1lb 6oz again. I thought he might of levelled out OK. I tried him with the Lure/Rabbit, he was a little scared of it moving along in front of him. He flew away from it at one point! I stopped it and just flew him to the Glove from a Perch. He came instantly a few times increasing the distance on the Lure. I got further and further away, past the end of the Lure. I figured it was getting silly and had to take the plunge. Unclipped the Creance and put him on the Perch, walked away about 150 ft and whistled he looked around for a second and then came straight to the Glove.....over the Moon!! So now he will be tried again tomorrow on the Glove intially then I guess he is flying FREE from now on.

I fed him only 2 DOC's today, trying to bring his weight down more. I think he was too heavy to attack the Lure/Rabbit today. I hope that is it anyway and he isn't just afraid of Rabbits!! My Son was there today doing the Lure/Rabbit, could of been that, but I will take his weight downb for good measure though. He came Home and I filled the Bath and he jumped right in, the Bird not my Son...lol. Anyway that's it for today. Any advice tips anyone?