Best Variable Schmidt And Bender Scope

Hi all, got a friend who has just bought a new sako 204 varmint 20''. He wants to top it off with a variable S&B, preferably a 50 or 56 optic as majority of of his shooting is at foxes at night. Anyone recommend the best model available. He wants to spend about £1500 max. Comments welcome

• Like 1

Hi

With due respect the fiats today are different than when I was younger not everybody can afford a Ferrari but a quarter of the price they are good value went out last night and smashed a fox at 250 yards so it's all about trial and error for me and can see your point buy cheap buy twice I've been there you don't want to be missing so it is my opinion cheers.

• Like 1

Hi

With due respect the fiats today are different than when I was younger not everybody can afford a Ferrari but a quarter of the price they are good value went out last night and smashed a fox at 250 yards so it's all about trial and error for me and can see your point buy cheap buy twice I've been there you don't want to be missing so it is my opinion cheers.

Agreed, but the OPs question was specifically about S&B.

If he wanted a cheaper alternative, I'd opt for a S&B 8x56 fixed. That would be more than ample for 204 ranges. I use one all the time on my fox gun.

In my humble opinion a man who wants a SB will be disappointed with a Hawke...

204 suggests varminting gun to me and further more not out as far as target rifle would push either.

Therefore look for the great unloved illegitimate ginger step child of the SB scope line up the 4-16x50 PMII.

It doesn't have the adjustment range of the 3-12 or 5-25 and so the long range target/tactical boys don't want them and the extra mag over the 3-12 can be handy.

• 2 months later...

I have a Zenith Flashdot 3-12x50 and although like it for deer stalking I'm not a fan for smaller stuff a long way out as the dot is too big on high mag. We were smacking some gongs at the weekend and a 4 inch plate 350m away was pretty much covered by the dot.

Personal choice for the use described would be a Nightforce. I have a 3.5-15x50 with the dot of death and would have it over the Schmidt for an all rounder.