Track Greyhounds

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen two ex track greyhounds try to work (on several occasions!) and both were diabolical in their obedience, had to be lifted over gates and ditches, had the turning circle of a bus and were the biggest canine whingers I've ever met!

Of course, you could put the time in to improve their obedience, jumping, etc, but if you're going to put the amount of time needed into a dog then you might as well get a pup!

My opinion: get an ex track greyhound as a pet or for breeding purposes, but not as a working dog!

Crow

I've seen two ex track greyhounds try to work (on several occasions!) and both were diabolical in their obedience, had to be lifted over gates and ditches, had the turning circle of a bus and were the biggest canine whingers I've ever met!

Of course, you could put the time in to improve their obedience, jumping, etc, but if you're going to put the amount of time needed into a dog then you might as well get a pup!

My opinion: get an ex track greyhound as a pet or for breeding purposes, but not as a working dog!

Crow

spot on!!! :thumbs:

iv had alot of greyhounds only ever had one that would have worked any good in my opinion she was a small 4 year old decent enough track bitch but sipped the leash one night when we were out walking her having a look with the lamp and she totaly destroyed a fox before we got near her she use to walk to heal nae probs and wouldnt leave my side tho all the others i had were straight from over the water and out a field litraly most of the male's were pritty much dead to the world i wouldnt touch a male as in my iopinion they were less trusting and took alot more time and effort to bring on but would never feel comfortable letting them of as they could just disapear . if you were taking a bitch a few months and she would come back doubt she would retreve to easily but with the effort if she has it in her she will do it but no two are the same .

good luck if you go for it .

Guest little lurcher

i have friends who have an ex track bitch and she is an excellent worker, almost faultless? im sure he said it took a long while to get the recall right but once that was sorted, then game on and all is great with her