First Fox Caught Out Ferreting

In Ireland here and on the weekend there I was out by myself (when all the good things tend to happen) and bolted a fox from an 8 hole rabbit warren with a silver jill entered for her first time.

Wee jill worked fantastic the whole day before bolting the fox and I would have swore she had been doing it for years but this was her first day out.

I am 36 and I have waited all my life to catch a fox out ferreting. I thought I had lost it for a moment when the peg came out but managed to scruff it. Hardest part was getting hold of a completely fresh fox with my hands only, no spade or branches about. The easiest part is taking it out of the net. This one thankfully just lay still.

So there ya go, a photo to prove it does happen.

post-70934-0-72045800-1486380671_thumb.jpg

Edited by RTurlough
  • Like 2

It's when you look down at the net after seeing it bolt and thinking "Yeeeeees! This is going to be fun!". It got me thinking how many times we go out trying every fox hole in the country and not a fox to be found.

your right mate, and the amount of times we lost ferrets to fox in rabbit holes

Great job lad, who needs a terrier, happened to me bolted foxes twice, first bolted across field when I was using finder, second dug down to ferret no rabbit first time ever but hand in nothing got piece black thorn checked again felt something then fox bolted, ferret was only 2 foot from fox,ferret very brave animal, what county are ye...

Well, I have time to go away and digest what was happening under ground for me to get this fox.

1. Ferret entered and came out of two of the 8 holes.

2. Ferret travelling again underground. No sound. Ferret down for at least 15mins.

3. Walked round each of the holes listening, fixing nets, but still giving the ferret the benefit of the doubt in case I had a stubborn rabbit.

4. I looked down and saw two of the holes, one on each side of the bank from the other kicked out. I began to suspect fox. Ferret still not seen.

5. Fox bolted into net and for the next 10 mins we played a game of who has the biggest cahonies as I didn't have anything but my feet to pin him. He was fresh as fresh could be and extremely pissed off.

6. Fox bagged. Ferret came out hissing as I was sorting the fox out. Ferret began to calm and then boxed.

So looking at this timeline I don't think the ferret bolted the fox. Infact I bet the ferret was tight in their somewhere defending itself from the fox probably back to the wall. I bet me walking round the holes made that fox bolt after a good 15mins, as they tend to do once they know you are above ground.

So all in luck, lucky to have the ferret and even luckier to have the fox. Frig I should have done the lottery that day!

Edited by RTurlough

There a right pain in the back side a old fox in a rabbit burrow i lost a good jill to a vixen with cubs in a three holer . and ive bolted another four while out ferreting the last one bolted out a big sandy banking ran up to the top and the net caught in the fence and i got it back but we had 8 ferrets in and it was a long worrying time till the eighth one surfaced and i knew that the fox hadnt got one of them

i should of know about it as there was fox crap outside every hole