No Rabbits Anywhere

darrren

So after not ferreting for over 8 years due to the army my sister said she would look after them in the week if I got some more. So, I got two jobs,one is hyper as anything,the other still small so letting him grow first. Well, I took the hyper one out yesterday for the first time, he went down all the holes no problem. I was concerned at first as he would come back out the hole I put him in, rather than popping out of another hole. He did eventually start popping out of different holes towards the end of the day. I don't have a dog to mark holes, and yesterday was warm, but not a single rabbit! And I went to every set I know, so I'm feeling a bit deflated. I'm wondering if anyone can offer any advice?

It could be that there was nothing home or it could be that he wasn't working the set properly.

It's not unusual for a young or inexperienced ferret to spend a few moments in a set and come out with no result only to then put an experienced ferret down and get a bolt.

You need to either get out with someone who's got a decent marking dog, a decent ferret or just be patient and keep trying. Sooner or later he will drop on.

• Like 1

Its funny you say that, because the last set was a big one, and I definitely heard thumping, and it was that last set where he started popping in and out through different holes, which is why I think again there was something in there. As you said I don't think he was working the first set because he was popping out of the same home he was going in. I'll keep trying because these sets used to always produce rabbits. Do you think he will get the hang when he eventually sees a bunny?

sounds like the rabbits were giving the ferret the run around if its a large warren and may be the rabbits have heard you waiting and thats why they not bolted . if you heard thumping there at home for sure. i dont ferret now but use to many yrs ago

Young ferrets seldom work a burrow properly in there first season , its handy if you can just work smaller burrows with them then check the burrows with a older working ferret , and if it was a big burrow your going to need more than one ferret anyway i reckon on one per ten holes that you can see

If your not sure if anything is at home, take the young ferret on the down wind side of the warren, it will soon tell you if there is anything at home. People do not use the wind enough, rabbit warrens are like little wind tunnels, even with the slightest breeze the air flows through them much faster than the breeze is blowing above ground. If the warren is occupied the scent will be blowing towards the young ferret and it should pick it up and follow it. As has been said above large warrens and young ferrets are not really a match made in heaven. Stick to smaller warrens until the ferret gets the idea.

Has worked for me for the last 30 odd years.

TC

• Like 5