Sign in to follow this  
goldfinger

17 Hmr Hornady V Max Ammo Shortage

Hi all, having trouble getting hold of 17 grain hornady v max ammo two suppliers saying they put orders in up to 12 months ago and cannot get this ammunition is anyone else having similar problems and has anyone got any ideas why there is a shortage.

I keep hearing a rumour about shortages due to couriers prices and changes in legislation throughout courier companies.

But surely if their unable to get hmr ammo why are they able to get much more powerful centrefire ammo

Not sure whats happening about center fire ammo dan but getting concerned about .17 ammo as I am almost out, i thought this might had been flagged up on some of the forums unless I have missed them.

Is the shortage not due to someone raising concerns about split necks to the HSE?

Two of my suppliers have run out and are waiting I only got 150 rounds left so on the look out for some also the .224 55grn v-max bullet heads are out of stock which I also need

Wondered if it was due to split necks. Just checked my last twenty cases. 4 split necks. One had slow fired, but still killed the rabbit.

Personally speaking I've never had a problem with .17 hmr ammo, split necks could be a good reason to hold supply back,someone must be in the know if it's a quality issue then they should come clean.

Guest Navek

So what's the best 17 ammo to purchase lads ? I've just applied for a 17 hmr .. Thinking maybe if it's going to be a mither to get rounds for mite as well change it for something else

As I said I've had o problems with .17 hmr horaday 17grain ballistic tip rounds and without trying not raise another debate a very versatile point and shoot round for small quarry and I'm sure this shortfall in supply will eventually be resolved.

Both of my local RFDs are out of VMax. Managed to get some Remington from one and Winchester from another. Worryingly one of the RFDs said he's spoken directly to one of the Edgar brothers (who import the stuff) and he suggests that it might not appear for some time. The other suggested it's imminent, so in short, could be any day, could be yonks.

Edited by stuartpengs

This is not the first time 17 has been hard to get hold of, on the plus side my RFD knocked nearly £3 off a box of 50

I thought Hornady were produced by cci

You often hear RFDs saying that it's due to the USA not wanting to export much because of home grown demand.

Almost every round of HMR ammunition is made by CCI in the USA for every manufacturer to their own specification. The only one I think has it's own rimfire plant is Winchester.

So if the Yanks don't want to export it, then we come second and have little back up.

Haven't heard any rumours about the HSE/Quality Control issues but they're long established issues with the HMR because of the way it's made. Could equally be that.

When I was in the States recently, there was hardly anything on the shelf in some places, perhaps demand is outstripping supply there.