hi iv just been given a variation on my fire arms for a 222 could anyone give me some advice on what make and where i could buy a good second hand one from ? im a big believer in a good second one is always better than a cheap new one thanks ?

hi iv just been given a variation on my fire arms for a 222 could anyone give me some advice on what make and where i could buy a good second hand one from ? im a big believer in a good second one is always better than a cheap new one thanks ?

hi i havent got a centrefire so i dont no as much as some people on here. but i no alot of people that have them so i no abit. a guy that has had loads of rifles on a site i go on said that the best 222 he has had is a bsa hunter. they are old but

are tackdrivers. even with factory ammo but are even better with home loads. there is some factory ammo he uses that is very cheap he said and his gun loves it. half inch goups at 100 yards he said and thats with this fatory ammo so cant be bad. i will see if i can find out what is its called for you. by the way these bsa are cheap to as they are older. but not many are for sale as they are snapped up by people. tikka 595 222 is good allso.

Edited by jamie g

Guntrader.co.uk

hi i havent got a centrefire so i dont no as much as some people on here. but i no alot of people that have them so i no abit. a guy that has had loads of rifles on a site i go on said that the best 222 he has had is a bsa hunter. they are old but

are tackdrivers. even with factory ammo but are even better with home loads. there is some factory ammo he uses that is very cheap he said and his gun loves it. half inch goups at 100 yards he said and thats with this fatory ammo so cant be bad. i will see if i can find out what is its called for you. by the way these bsa are cheap to as they are older. but not many are for sale as they are snapped up by people. tikka 595 222 is good allso.

thanks mate i would apreciate the advice cheers

the ammo i was on about is called Privi Partisan ammo he said it looks crap but shoots very well. but all guns are different mate weather they are the same make and cal. so it best to by a box of each and try them. gun trader is good but the prices are dear on there i think.

the ammo i was on about is called Privi Partisan ammo he said it looks crap but shoots very well. but all guns are different mate weather they are the same make and cal. so it best to by a box of each and try them. gun trader is good but the prices are dear on there i think.

hey thanks you realy no what im after ile let you no cheers
hi

go for a sako or tikka .you will not go wrong .i got the .222 varmint t3 and with norma 40 grain ammo is a really accurate gun flat out to 200 yards and clover leaf groups at 100yds

good luck with your choice

t3

thanks for the tips mate ile keep you posted

Main Man, If it were me mate I would go for the Sako or Tikka as already said. Me personally, I shoot a Remington in .243 and get sub MOA so that will do me! What you also need to look at IMO is the scope that you ar gonna put on this .222. A man once said to me 'spend good money on ya rifle and better money on ya scope', I think he speaks a bit of truth in that!!

What ever you choose regarding the rifle,....enjoy it!! ;)

Regards,Sprags!!

cz make brilliant rifles.wouldnt ever buy a s/h rifle unless you know the history in great detail...you buy s/h and it'll take ages to work out whether its amo or the rifle and buy that time your confidance will be knocked and you wont hit a thing.....cz are brilliant and deadly accurate.my advise is to buy a new 222cz and a smitt scope and good quality mouts...all depends if you want to hunt or to have somthing pritty to show your mates.......happy shooting

cz make brilliant rifles.wouldnt ever buy a s/h rifle unless you know the history in great detail...you buy s/h and it'll take ages to work out whether its amo or the rifle and buy that time your confidance will be knocked and you wont hit a thing.....cz are brilliant and deadly accurate.my advise is to buy a new 222cz and a smitt scope and good quality mouts...all depends if you want to hunt or to have somthing pritty to show your mates.......happy shooting

secondhand rifles can be had at bargain prices. as long as you dont buy one thats been used at the range alot then it will be ok. 222 and 223 barrels dont wear out as easy as 22/250 i wouldnt buy one of those secondhand. well like you said inless you no the history of it. best ones to look out for are ones that have just been used for vermin control and not by a range shooter :thumbs: and if you find the rifle you like the look of then have it borescoped to see if the barrel is ok. and not got any pitting in it or other marks. like sprags said the cz 222 would be a good bet as cz's are good out the box and offer a well built rifle for bargain money. a lad over hereford i no has one and he loves it.

Edited by jamie g

I have a .222cz and wouldnt change it .Federal ammo ,loves it .Bought it second hand off a mate and have shot cart loads of kit with it ,including some decent ranges -187 paces being the best .Good scope is the answer to most rifles though .

mate i bought a tikka m595 .222 stainless barrel vgc for £400.from my local gunshop .mounts cost £75 and scopes ags(they do the job for me most of my shooting is around 100/120 yds were £125.so for about £600 can get a good set up only had rifle for a month or so but it seems spot on.(did you put down for a moderator)

i use a 222 ruger M77 mkii and, i love it! it too likes federals but with home loads i've killed at 230 paces, fox sitting front on aimed at eyes and hit the neck. very flat,

i'd go first hand, worth the money in the long run, small calibres do wear out quite quickly, and i would only get stainless barrel especially s/h. I've got a crap tasco scope on it and it winds me up.

Now getting my own rifle which will be steyr mannlicher 243 and the schmidt scope is awesome, i've gone to this for deer and its the only stock that feels great from the box for me

The safety catch on the ruger is brilliant, very secure 3 point, its only these sort of things that set the rifles apart, they all shot very well, changed the trigger on it at south yorkshire shooting supplies. they're a very good shop and are very knowledgable, try a few out in a shop and see which you get on with.

and def try to get it moderated

I have a Sako 222 and use Sako ammo, ammo a little on the expensive side but with 1/2 inch grouping at 200yds you just dont

miss old charlie drops every time the trigger gets pulled.

Have put most rounds through the gun with varied results even as bad as 2inch grouping at 100yds if you can call that grouping,

but the sako ammo seems to suit my gun. I did think about reloading but doubt I'd be able to achieve the same results.

hope that helps