How To Lamp My Lurcher

Recall needs to be spot on before you take her lamping otherwise she will be off hunting up for miles and chasing rabbits in the dark while you are stood shouting.

It's not too late to get her recall 100% though.

Is she a food orientated bitch? Will she play tug with you?

I have used a long line on my dog a lot for one reason and another but it is good to get a recall going and you can call once then give a little tug if needed to get the dog moving. Basically every time you call you need the dog to come and not have a choice until it is well sorted. The old chestnut start in low distraction areas and move on. A boring field the dog has been in a million times then a park with dogs belting around etc.

Just repeating what I have read else where but its works for me.

On the lamp you can expect the dog to get excited and I wouldn't stand there demanding it comes right back as chances are it won't meet half way if needs be and get on to the next rabbit so it twigs the sooner it gets back the sooner you get on to the next

I think it was jim on here who mentioned taping a glow stick on the collar I find that great as you can see exactly where the dog is or upto. Mine has a habit of coming back then sitting about a couple of yards away. I would be wondering where the sod was and he was in front of me all the time wondering what the hold up was :laugh:

• Like 1

Good advice from terry. I also think it's important to establish what is "recall isn't great". Is it close to bang on but sometimes she doesn't come all the way? Is it 50/50 hit and miss wether she listens or not? Or does she completely do her own thing and you can never get her back on the lead?

Last time we were on the park as a family picnic off lead.. She stood still looked at a child playing far away from us, and then suddenly bolted at him full force me and my fella shouted her over and over. She did stop and come back but I didnt think she was going to. When other dogs are on the park she starts to go over and comes back, if we're alone shes 50/50 on whether she'll come to call or not. I usually take her out on a 5meter lead as Idare say I dont trust her off it. Especially as she spooks easy from tractors and loud cars. And can be a little aggressive to passing dogs. She put her fur up and pulls

People get hung up on recall as if it's some sort of barometer of how good the relationship is

It can make or break a relationship because owners will just read defiance into it

If you have made yourself interesting to the dog you don't to be constantly calling the f***ing dog your not going to be able to call it off the scent of a rabbit anyway but an interested pup shouldn't be far from your side anyway

The trick is to make the pup believe that been by your side makes a rabbit appear, I only ever start s pup on the lamp I have controlled everything in the pups life up to the point so when a rabbit get up on the lamp he associates been beside me as making it happen like Pavlovs dog experiment , the bell rings the food appears , the dog walks with me listens to me and I make a bunny appear

Seen lads hung up on recall destroy a good relationship, if a dog is hunting while you are recalling he just going to associate your shouting with his hunting from there on its a slippery slope that can be hard to get on track

Put it this way, if every time I was out with the dog and I pulled a bunny out of my sleeve for the dog to chase , do you think the dog would be wasting his and my time f***ing off round the field or do you think I'd need recall

Edited by Casso
  • Like 1

I have used a long line on my dog a lot for one reason and another but it is good to get a recall going and you can call once then give a little tug if needed to get the dog moving. Basically every time you call you need the dog to come and not have a choice until it is well sorted. The old chestnut start in low distraction areas and move on. A boring field the dog has been in a million times then a park with dogs belting around etc.

Just repeating what I have read else where but its works for me.

On the lamp you can expect the dog to get excited and I wouldn't stand there demanding it comes right back as chances are it won't meet half way if needs be and get on to the next rabbit so it twigs the sooner it gets back the sooner you get on to the next

I think it was jim on here who mentioned taping a glow stick on the collar I find that great as you can see exactly where the dog is or upto. Mine has a habit of coming back then sitting about a couple of yards away. I would be wondering where the sod was and he was in front of me all the time wondering what the hold up was :laugh:

The best advice I ever got from a top class trainer was long line raised dog is far more attentive because he never know the limits or lenght of the line so he always feel you have control even when he just dragging it behind him or its shortened up , first class tool for training bud
  • Like 1

I do belive recall is one of the most inportant thing for a working dog.you cant have a dog running off into the night theres a good chance you wont see it again

I'm not with ya bud, why in gods name would a dog just leg off for no reason and why wouldn't he come back,

I'd jack it all in if I couldnt get a dog to come back without calling , an odd time a dog might twig the rabbit is just lurking in hedge after a chase but ya know by your dog what he's doing

Make sure it's a dark windy night, dint go out if the moons up etc, he won't need the lamp and will be off sight hunting without you..

if he misses the rabbit, don't keep the lamp on, don't look for him with the lamp, he'll come back to you even if it takes a while... Loads of praise back on the slip, lamp the next rabbit... Repeat....

Eventually he'll realise you are the source of fun, (chasing rabbits) so will want to be back on that slip so he can look down the beam again...

Be patient and it will come...

Also when you walk him without a lead call him in fuss him, play tug etc... Then let him go and walk on again, don't put him on a lead every time you call him in... Make yourself fun for him... He's still young

• Like 5

With any young lurcher starting out the most important thing is to keep it winning, pick her runs carefully i.e kick ups and runs with a good distance for the quarry to have to travel to get away maximising the chance of a catch, as the dogs grows in skill and confidence you'll not look back......it's easy to sicken a young dog by running it on uncatchable quarry repeatedly, build it's confidence with it's skills and you'll have many enjoyable years of hunting with her.

Best of luck TF

• Like 2