First Rifle, Any Advice?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you think you will be shooting more rabbit than fox, a 22 lr or a 22 wmr maybe all you need. If you want to use the air rifle for rabbit. The hornet's will do you and a few rabbit but at extra cos

Greyman, hmr won't be cheaper to feed than lr but will do both roles as will wmr so can be cheaper as only one rifle is purchased.

Agreed, but if noise, and the increased cost aren't an issue the HMR will increase the range and deliver more energy.   A .22lr should be in virtually everyones cabinet just the same, cracking calib

Posted Images

Sounds like .17 is the way to go to me then

There is far more to choosing a calibre that ricochet! As said, any calibre/type of ammo/can/will ricochet at times. The 22Lr has a bit of a reputation for ricochet, but it somehow remains the most popular civil calibre in the world by miles, so it must be doing something right, on top of which, ammo selection, and shot placement (and of course simply hitting your quarry) will reduce/remove any ricochet chances.

You have to evaluate your terrain, quarry, distances, neighbourhood, etc, etc then select what you NEED!

I run a whole load of calibres because I deal with a whole load of situations, a HMR (for example) isn't BETTER than a .22LR, it is DIFFERENT, and may be better suited to some situations, in other situations a .22lr may be the rifle you reach for over the HMR!

So, you need to work out what you want to do with any rifle, and then look to see what rifle/calibre best fits that need!

:thumbs:

• Like 1

I had a hmr and .22lr sold the hmr and got a .22-250 all I need. .22lr good for fox at 60 yards headshot .22-250 a different tool altogether. Hmr are effected quite easily by the wind.

okay thanks, we should be under 60 yards with any luck!

so from whats being said it sounds as if the best option is a 22lr or a Hmr or wmr....?

people would say those over a .223?

Can we start this again, are you saying under 60 yards for everything, as you have already suggested you have foxes 10 yards away!?

If that is the case there is absolutely no need for a centrefire of any description.

As regards a .223 or 22-250 or whatever anyone else has suggested, think carefully with half an eye to your suggestion of Roe in the future, unless its Scotland no .22CF is Deer legal for Roe!

You will find any currently available rimfire in the UK runs out of consistency/accuracy/energy for anything, at circa 150 yards. Let me be clear here, I and many others have taken wildlife well beyond 150 yards with rimfires, but not as a daily use tool, if I knew my quarry was all going to be 150yards + I would always reach for a centrefire. If you are thinking the distance will run out to 150-200 yards as suggested in your OP then nothing wrong with a Hornet or even .204. Then if the time comes the likes of a .243 for deer and you end up with a sensible range of rifles that will cover virtually all bases for most people.

Hi mate, thanks for the advice so far!

yes I think rabbits would be a MAX 60/70yards and as you say sometimes I might still favour the air rifle, the foxes I dont think would be anywhere near over 150yards, I'd be surprised if we were forced to take 100yards shot the confidence they have been showing- and thats without any attempt to call or bait them in!

Im thinking of putting down .22lr and .17HMR on the application and see how that turns out, if they give me both then I will decide which to buy (probably end up with both anyway eventually!) then after a couple of years look at moving to something a bit bigger!?