First Rifle, Any Advice?

.22lr is all you'll need for 100 yards rabbits and 60 yards fox mate. Get a cz or brno bolt action will do all YOU need.

Agreed, but if noise, and the increased cost aren't an issue the HMR will increase the range and deliver more energy.

A .22lr should be in virtually everyones cabinet just the same, cracking calibre!

I run 2 x 22LR, HMR and WMR, etc, I have a use for them all, the OP probably doesn't want/need to rush off and buy lots of calibres yet, and for his requirement of rabbit and a few fox, the HMR would edge it for me, although I have taken many a fox with the .22lr, but then again I've also been doing this a long timel! :thumbs:

• Like 2

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you think you will be shooting more rabbit than fox, a 22 lr or a 22 wmr maybe all you need. If you want to use the air rifle for rabbit. The hornet's will do you and a few rabbit but at extra cos

Greyman, hmr won't be cheaper to feed than lr but will do both roles as will wmr so can be cheaper as only one rifle is purchased.

Agreed, but if noise, and the increased cost aren't an issue the HMR will increase the range and deliver more energy.   A .22lr should be in virtually everyones cabinet just the same, cracking calib

Posted Images

If I was you I would forget foxes untill you've had a few months practicing knocking over rabbits at different ranges upto 100 yards with a 22lr

Leave charlie alone untill you can guarantee a clean kill

Just my opinion but hmr wouldn't suit a beginner after foxes to much room for error

Get a 22 lr and get out as much as you can, then a cf just for foxes, gut shot or chest its going down, same can't be said with a hmr consistently

• Like 1

If I was you I would forget foxes untill you've had a few months practicing knocking over rabbits at different ranges upto 100 yards with a 22lr

Leave charlie alone untill you can guarantee a clean kill

Just my opinion but hmr wouldn't suit a beginner after foxes to much room for error

Get a 22 lr and get out as much as you can, then a cf just for foxes, gut shot or chest its going down, same can't be said with a hmr consistently

Situations and circumstances, I have shot a lot more foxes with my rimfires than I have with my centrefires!

Edited by Deker

I don't doubt that you have deker but how long have you been shooting?

The length of time I have been shooting gives me experience, the Situations and circumstances dictate the tool to use!

The OP has suggested most should be under 60 yards, if you can't knock down a fox at 60 yards with a HMR you need help! The last thing I would do is suggest a centrefire to make up for any lack of ability!

Edited by Deker

I had a hmr and .22lr sold the hmr and got a .22-250 all I need. .22lr good for fox at 60 yards headshot .22-250 a different tool altogether. Hmr are effected quite easily by the wind.

okay thanks, we should be under 60 yards with any luck!

so from whats being said it sounds as if the best option is a 22lr or a Hmr or wmr....?

people would say those over a .223?

Can we start this again, are you saying under 60 yards for everything, as you have already suggested you have foxes 10 yards away!?

If that is the case there is absolutely no need for a centrefire of any description.

As regards a .223 or 22-250 or whatever anyone else has suggested, think carefully with half an eye to your suggestion of Roe in the future, unless its Scotland no .22CF is Deer legal for Roe!

You will find any currently available rimfire in the UK runs out of consistency/accuracy/energy for anything, at circa 150 yards. Let me be clear here, I and many others have taken wildlife well beyond 150 yards with rimfires, but not as a daily use tool, if I knew my quarry was all going to be 150yards + I would always reach for a centrefire. If you are thinking the distance will run out to 150-200 yards as suggested in your OP then nothing wrong with a Hornet or even .204. Then if the time comes the likes of a .243 for deer and you end up with a sensible range of rifles that will cover virtually all bases for most people.

But why not a .22lr far quieter and cheaper than the hmr and far less prone to ammo issues etc

I didn't rule out the .22lr, (and you forgot to mention the .22lrs terrible reputation for bouncing around the countryside :laugh::laugh::thumbs:) but as soon as someone says fox as well, I'd favour something with a little more grunt (for most people) and more effective frangible ammo, and HMR should be more accurate.

It gives more leeway on the shot, will almost always impart all of its energy into the fox and as it travels well over twice as fast as a .22LR sub, the quarry has less chance of moving. The HMR will win every time over a .22LR HV.

The OP wanted advice which included fox, the accuracy and energy of the HMR make it first class close fox, 100 yards has been suggested for the .22LR during this thread, of course you can, but HMR you can easily!

As I said I run .22LR, HMR and WMR, I need to, I also shoot a lot of close fox, but this went down on the spot at 130 yards last Friday with the HMR, I had no hesitation and every confidence in taking the shot.

post-10759-0-94174700-1470768666_thumb.jpg

You can actually see the bullet entry at top of front leg, the fox presented three quarters on, and the bullet (fragments) travelled on to destroy the heart!

It he wants one rifle, then HMR for starters, if he wants more then perhaps I would suggest .22LR, Hornet, .243, as a cracking selection to cover all sensible bases for MOST people. I'm not sure why anyone is talking .22 CF (other than Hornet, which I don't see mentioned), especially 22-250 if Roe are a possibility in the future, that's not a million miles from the .243, but the .243 is ALL deer legal.

:thumbs:

Edit

WMR is almost interchangeable with HMR on fox in my experience, especially if your WMR can deliver the Hornady 30g V-Max, it may even have the edge, but for some reason I have never personally seen WMR as a rabbit calibre, perhaps because I don't see it doing anything better on bunnies than my HMR, .22Lr or even Air! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

All I was saying deker is you have been shooting a while at wildlife and target so I take it your a good shot, so hitting a fox in the right place should be no drama

A newbie to shooting may not be such a good shot, and might not be able to be so clinical with shot placement which I believe is important with the hmr

• Like 1

All I was saying deker is you have been shooting a while at wildlife and target so I take it your a good shot, so hitting a fox in the right place should be no drama

A newbie to shooting may not be such a good shot, and might not be able to be so clinical with shot placement which I believe is important with the hmr

• Like 1

Shot placement with a HMR V-Max is nowhere near as critical as a .22lr, but at the same time, you will almost always be able to deliver the bullet more accurately than a .22LR.

Like I said....Situations and circumstances! :thumbs:

I'm in the same situation as the op.

So from what I'm understanding by the majority of replies is the hmr is being recommended more than anything else,

I was also thinking that it would be slightly safer with less richotte (if that's how you spell it) for a newbie.

Am I right???