S410

from what ive been told you cant lower the power below 12 ftlb ish but you can put it up (aslong as you have an fac) and yes there is a screw its a allan key screw on the right hand side near the back but by law you must have an f a c ..............

Ok thanks mate, i will keep it 12ftlbs just wanted to be in the know how.

Also the red dot on the magazine has to be at the v notch before going into the gun. Why is this and does it have to be like this everytime you reload.

Most appreciated AG.

the power can be turned down. check muzzle velocity with different weights of pellets,heavy pellets in a pcp will give a higher reading than lightweight pellets,in spring guns it's the other way round,so test with the heaviest pellet that you are likely to use :whistling:

Ok thanks mate, i will keep it 12ftlbs just wanted to be in the know how.

Also the red dot on the magazine has to be at the v notch before going into the gun. Why is this and does it have to be like this everytime you reload.

Most appreciated AG.

not true i use it as a magazine marker to know when im low in pellets

the power can be turned down. check muzzle velocity with different weights of pellets,heavy pellets in a pcp will give a higher reading than lightweight pellets,in spring guns it's the other way round,so test with the heaviest pellet that you are likely to use :whistling:

I have a .177 S410 and the heavier the pellet the less power it put's out on the cronograph.. the lighter pellet's give more ftlb..

Millet

Millet

That is very interesting. I've not had a .177 for about 20 years and to be honest I'm pretty sure it never went through a chrono. But I have to say that the heavier pellet always produces a small amout more power (ft lb) in my .22 PCP. Mine runs at around 26 ft lb and I use AA Field but when I use the Bisley Magnum I get about .5 ft lb more. I always assumed (actually never though about it) that the .177 would produce similar results. Apparently not from what you say.....ok...... who out there can explain all the physics of this one then???

Deker

I have a .177 S410 and the heavier the pellet the less power it put's out on the cronograph.. the lighter pellet's give more ftlb..

Millet

Impossible,are you saying the ftlbs are lower or the fps? the fps will be lower with a heavier pellet,but the ftlbs will be higher,even with the lower fps reading. :thumbs:

Right i've just tried my gun on the chrono.

With .177 jsb exacts 7.9 gr my reading is 805 FPS which i calculate as 11.370 ftlbs

With .177 bisley mags10.8 gr my reading is 703 FPS which is 11.85 ftlbs

Edited by bill88
Bisley Magnum .177 10.6 grain or there about's..and it work's out 733Fps

Millet

Millet,if you have bisley mags leaving the muzzle at 733 FPS thats way over mate :icon_eek: Thats about 12.5 ftlbs

Edited to say,i use the same chrono.

Edited by bill88

because the law states(uk law)

an air rifle will not exceed the muzzle energy of 12ft lbs that is the boundries the makers have to abide by. If they worded it as not exceeding say 900fps you would have in .22 something like 26-30ftlbs(purely a figure of the top of my head)

now with this in mind that dictates that weight and size of the pellet is the governing factor to give you your measurement of muzzle energy rather than speed in flight.

the basic formular for working out muzle energy is weight x speed = muzle energy. of course its a bit more complex than that but it is this rational that gives you your reading on the cronograph.

i use AA diablo field in my falcon and get a higher rate of ftlbs than i do with something heavy like magnums when it was running at sub 12ftlb power. it does not stand true to form that a lighter pellet traveling at a higher speed will always give a better ftlbs reading. there is a trasfer of proportion in the formular of speed x weight = ftlbs, this cross over has been proved to be around about the time a medium pellet of 18-20grains for a .22 pellet traveling at about 780fps

if you try to look at it like a power curve on a graph, there is a point where a faster pellet that isnt carrying the weight will have its maximum power out put (kinetic energy) giving a good reading in ftlbs better than that of a heiver pellet going slow.

dont know if i have made it clear :blink:

Edited by mole catcher
Bisley Magnum .177 10.6 grain or there about's..and it work's out 733Fps

Millet

Looks like you hadn't changed the pellet weight on the crono millet.

Formula is velocity(fps) x velocity(fps) x pellet weight (grains) Devided by gravitational constant(450240) equals muzzle energy in ft/lbs

733x733x10.6 devided by 450240=12.64 ft /lb (over powered)

if you change the pellet weight for the lighter one, keeping the velocity the same you get:-

733x733x8.4 / 450240=10.02 ft/lb (incorrect pellet weight)

this is your reading from your second picture! :thumbs:

Clear as mud :hmm::whistling:

Andy :thumbs:

an air rifle will not exceed the muzzle energy of 12ft lbs that is the boundries the makers have to abide by. If they worded it as not exceeding say 900fps you would have in .22 something like 26-30ftlbs(purely a figure of the top of my head)

now with this in mind that dictates that weight and size of the pellet is the governing factor to give you your measurement of muzzle energy rather than speed in flight.

the basic formular for working out muzle energy is weight x speed = muzle energy. of course its a bit more complex than that but it is this rational that gives you your reading on the cronograph.

i use AA diablo field in my falcon and get a higher rate of ftlbs than i do with something heavy like magnums when it was running at sub 12ftlb power. it does not stand true to form that a lighter pellet traveling at a higher speed will always give a better ftlbs reading. there is a trasfer of proportion in the formular of speed x weight = ftlbs, this cross over has been proved to be around about the time a medium pellet of 18-20grains for a .22 pellet traveling at about 780fps

if you try to look at it like a power curve on a graph, there is a point where a faster pellet that isnt carrying the weight will have its maximum power out put (kinetic energy) giving a good reading in ftlbs better than that of a heiver pellet going slow.

Now I'm getting confused...are you saying that an AA Field (16.2-16.4g)in my 26ft lb PCP will produce more power (ft lb) than a Bisley Magnum (21.4-21.6g), because that is not what my chrono says. 18-20grains for a .22 pellet traveling at about 780fps I haven't done the maths but it is easy to see those figures add up to be well into FAC.

Edited

Perhaps not I've just read it again a few times....but I still don't understand the 12ft lb either, Bisley magnum always produced a bit more power in my Falcon than AA Field when it was 12 ft lb. It is also well known that first pellet of choice for police testing of 12ft lb ers is the Bisley Magnum as this will tend to give one of the highest readings.

Edited by Deker

Now I'm getting confused...are you saying that an AA Field (16.2-16.4g)in my 26ft lb PCP will produce more power (ft lb) than a Bisley Magnum (21.4-21.6g), because that is not what my chrono says. 18-20grains for a .22 pellet traveling at about 780fps I haven't done the maths but it is easy to see those figures add up to be well into FAC.

Edited

Perhaps not I've just read it again a few times....but I still don't understand the 12ft lb either, Bisley magnum always produced a bit more power in my Falcon than AA Field when it was 12 ft lb. It is also well known that first pellet of choice for police testing of 12ft lb ers is the Bisley Magnum as this will tend to give one of the highest readings.

In my 12ftlb pcp,any of the heavier pellets will produce higher ftlbs readings,but in my springers the reverse is true.

Deker,as you say a .22 pellet with a muzzle reading of 780FPS would be 27.02 ftlbs. :thumbs: