Bedlington/whippet X Collie

I've got one. going on 10 now and retired. She was my first dog after the ban came in. Working collie dam to 1/4 beddie sire. 19' and 15kg. She has been a lot of fun to work, good nose, robust and plenty of drive. For rabbiting in woodland and bushing she has been good, but on rough moorland and open ground her size and lack of pace has been a short fall. The last 7 years I have worked her alongside bigger dogs as a bushing dog and she has been a useful addition to that type of work. Due to running on rough ground and trying to match the bigger dogs attempts she has aged rapidly, and whilst the body is still able, the fire in her belly has reduced. SHe's been good fun, but in all honesty, lack of size AND pace has been the limiting factor for all round lurcher work. I have a preference for strong collie influence in my dogs, but if I was to go down this route again, I would look for some thing breed down from a beddie x grey.

IMG_3806.jpg

• Like 4

thankyou for the honest input...she does look a handy and robust little dog.... i have a pup here and her dam was a similar cross to yours...and the sire was a jackrussell terrier..not expecting a speed merchant but hope she will be handy for what i want her for, mainly ferreting and bushing along side the lurcher..shes just 16wks and is 14" and about 7kg and shaping up nicely, time will tell :)

I've got one. going on 10 now and retired. She was my first dog after the ban came in. Working collie dam to 1/4 beddie sire. 19' and 15kg. She has been a lot of fun to work, good nose, robust and plenty of drive. For rabbiting in woodland and bushing she has been good, but on rough moorland and open ground her size and lack of pace has been a short fall. The last 7 years I have worked her alongside bigger dogs as a bushing dog and she has been a useful addition to that type of work. Due to running on rough ground and trying to match the bigger dogs attempts she has aged rapidly, and whilst the body is still able, the fire in her belly has reduced. SHe's been good fun, but in all honesty, lack of size AND pace has been the limiting factor for all round lurcher work. I have a preference for strong collie influence in my dogs, but if I was to go down this route again, I would look for some thing breed down from a beddie x grey.

IMG_3806.jpg

post-14002-0-56567700-1468662657.jpg

• Like 1