When Does A Round Become 'a Round'?

As per the title chaps, when is 'a round' born? Is it when the bullet gets seated?

I tell you why I ask ........ I have just started reloading a .222 for a mate. I don't have an allowance for a .222, so I suggested to him that I prep all the brass and then when I'm ready he can pop over and in his presence I can prime, charge the powder and seat the bullet. I had a thought this morning though. Maybe do a little more of the work without his presence - i.e. prime the cases and charge?

What are your thoughts guys?

Tremo

Alright mate?

As I'm sure you know, expanding bullets are classed as "rounds" even when they are in the cardboard box they came in.

If he's going to come over with the bullets after you've done some of the prep, that's ok, but personally I wouldn't do any more than deprime, clean the cases, resize and trim. I'd leave the primers, powders and seating until he was there.

As Walshie says, any expanding heads count towards your "possessed rounds" total,

Personally, I can't see much of an issue with you priming the cases as well, no offence of having primed cases for different calibres in your possession.

Legally, you could measure and add the powder to them as well but from a safety perspective, to my mind it's better to put the powder in as you're loading.

If the rounds were non-expanding, they only become S.1 ammunition when the round has all it's component parts, case, primer, powder and head.

Many thanks guys. As ever, your opinions and advice are always welcome.

It was always going to be the case that he was going to have to bring the bullets with him, but I wasn't too sure about the priming and charging. I'll play it safe and just prep the brass. I believe that he's only after 20 or so on each occasion, so I should be able to turn these out in no time while he waits.

ATB

Tremo