Subsonic Home Loading

Can I ask, has any of you lads ever loaded subsonic rounds for either 223 or 22 hornet, it's something I have never done, and wondered what loads are out there for the job, or if any of you lads think it's worth doing or not? Let's hear your thoughts good or bad,

Be careful about loading too little powder in order to reduce velocity. You could get detonation.

G

Why graham ?? Other than under pressure, as in not leaving the barrel, or being useless as in ft pound energy delivery, are the obvious pitfalls I see, how do they detonate, I have seen they use powder like red dot as its a better case fill, but it seems people don't spend too much time developing the load,

Modern powder is not an explosive it is a propellant. If this propellant is confined in a tube (case) inside a pressure vessel (barrel) it burns extremely quickly forcing any obstruction (bullet) down the only way out (muzzle)

However if there is too little powder inside the case it could then actually act as an explosive and detonate. This causes the case to act as a small pipe bomb and can have disastrous effects.

I have also seen people using small quantities of a fast pistol powder such as Bullseye in a .303 rifle with no apparent problems.................yet!!!!!

Found this on the web. Have a read and decide for yourself.

http://www.reloadammo.com/liteload.htm

G

• Like 1

There is actually no proof of "detonation".

It is theory.

What is known to cause barrel failed is obstruction.

Using to little a slowish powder can cause a bullet to be knocked into the rifling then stop for tiniest time as the flame front retards and then restarts only this time the expansion is arrested by the stationary bullet, an obstruction!

Fast powders ignite easily and therefore tend to be forgiving on low case capacity.

Double dosing is the enemy though!

Easily overcome by keeping all uncharged cases upside down in the tray.

You only charge an upside down case!

Some use case fillers to to lose case volume.

In hornet I use to fill the case with blc2 and h414 for squib loads. I don't know how quick they were but were slow. Being a too slow powder for that case it was always going to keep low pressure but was a bit dirty.

Blue dot was good in hornet too but be careful if you get near 8grain. It get hot all of a sudden.

I have loaded subloads in hornet, 222, 30/30,308 and 357. Not to mention muzzle-loaders.

It has no real advantages mate. Altering sights and all, may as well take the 22 out in my opinion but it's fun guess.

U.

There is actually no proof of "detonation".

It is theory.

What is known to cause barrel failed is obstruction.

Using to little a slowish powder can cause a bullet to be knocked into the rifling then stop for tiniest time as the flame front retards and then restarts only this time the expansion is arrested by the stationary bullet, an obstruction!

Fast powders ignite easily and therefore tend to be forgiving on low case capacity.

Double dosing is the enemy though!

Easily overcome by keeping all uncharged cases upside down in the tray.

You only charge an upside down case!

Some use case fillers to to lose case volume.

In hornet I use to fill the case with blc2 and h414 for squib loads. I don't know how quick they were but were slow. Being a too slow powder for that case it was always going to keep low pressure but was a bit dirty.

Blue dot was good in hornet too but be careful if you get near 8grain. It get hot all of a sudden.

I have loaded subloads in hornet, 222, 30/30,308 and 357. Not to mention muzzle-loaders.

It has no real advantages mate. Altering sights and all, may as well take the 22 out in my opinion but it's fun guess.

U.

I hear what you say, I have a bit of a inquisitive mind, and was looking for some background on them, it's good to get input from someone who has loaded them, I could see the heavier bullets being a waist of time, due to bullet drop but thought the lighter stuff as in the 22 centre fire wouldn't be that bad, what was the 222 like ??

Cos subsonic is SUBSONIC, at sea level speed of sound is approx. 1100 ft/sec, and if your load is faster than that, it's not subsonic and will make

a supersonic 'crack' .

The ONLY way to know if your load is subsonic is to measure it's speed, also you can check the consistency of your loads by firing a batch across

the Chrono, anyway a useable Chrono costs about £120.00 and is a vital tool for the re-loader, without one you may as well 'whistle Dixie'. (Outlaw Josie Wales)

Just like the folk who quote 300 yard head shots etc etc, get a laser rangfinder you may be Surprised or Disappointed??

Reality may not be palatable but it is real.

AndyF