Rope through the collar.

Ive just started putting rope through my dogs collar so it acts as slip lead but i cant wrap the rope round my hand to hand to hold him because it hurts to much when he pulls :( can anyone tell me please how i can adjust it so it easier to hold? thanks.

Edited by luke524896

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive just started putting rope through my dogs collar so it acts as slip lead but i cant wrap the rope round my hand to hand to hold him because it hurts to much when he pulls :( can anyone tell me please how i can adjust it so it easier to hold? thanks.

You might try a thin yet strong rope, and make a loop at each end like in most leashes. But do not tie the loops, whip them so that there is no knot to hang up on the dogs collar as you release one end and it slips through.

This way you could put both loops around your wrist and have lots of control and a bit more comfort until just before 'show time". then you can take one loop off your wrist and hold it in order to effect a quicker release.

These are just some thoughts of mine, but I am a total newbie so see what the more experienced guys suggest.

Get some thicker rope, like a strap, its called strapping, its very soft on the hands as its flat and not round like rope so it wont cut into your hand as much. Homebase has it for like 80p a meter. If you cant get any in time before your lamping trip eg. if its tonight, then just put up with it until you get some better material. dont tie it round your hand, just try and hold it in between your fingers so it cant cut in as much, if its to long then cut it to a shorter length.

Edited by ad22

Just get some decent rope, like yachty stuff and not polyprop. Tie a bowline in one end to leave a loop you can have loosely around your wrist and then just hold the free end in same hand, the strain will mostly be on the loop and not the free-end. Oh and stop the c#nt pulling so hard while yer at it!

Guest john2007oliver

if the ropes too short, it will make your hand hurt, other than that get use to it or stop your dog from pulling, and "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" is b*llocks, just in case she is mature, it might not learn as well or as quick as a young'un but it will learn. My staff use to pull like feck but its a staff its the norm, apparently. But after getting into running dogs and seeing the difference it was acceptable no more, now she either walks to heel or sometimes keeps tight to her lead but not pulling . She does need a reminder every so often but so do youngster. She has also been broken to ferrets, and she is one of those dogs that see all kill all. I wouldn't trust her on her own but can atleast while im there or why there in there hutch. Shes coming up to 4 now and both these have been achieve it the last 8 months