Net Making..........first Attempt.

So far, I've got a nice pile of pink spun poly in the bin ! Can't stop it twisting around itself - I've tried all the tips given so far, but no joy.........

Still, at least I'm having fun ! (Who am I f***ing kidding ?)

• Like 4

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

get knitting you don't know what your missing. 75600 knots later.     TC

I new that one was coming I seen it in my binoculars hahaha

So far, I've got a nice pile of pink spun poly in the bin ! Can't stop it twisting around itself - I've tried all the tips given so far, but no joy.........     Still, at least I'm having fun ! (Wh

So far, I've got a nice pile of pink spun poly in the bin ! Can't stop it twisting around itself - I've tried all the tips given so far, but no joy.........

did you try what tc suggested to find out if its the twine or your needle loading ?

did you try what tc suggested to find out if its the twine or your needle loading ?

I did, and it's helped a lot. Also, the twisting lessens as the net gets longer, so I'm getting there !

I got to the 12th row before I buggered it up this time (he wrote through gritted teeth !) This is probably the most frustrating thing I've ever tried......

• Like 1

Lol sorry for laughing but think of the cracking couple walks you could have had by now lol

This will give you a proper laugh.......

I'm only doing it because I'm laid up - busted my back and can't walk !!

I did, and it's helped a lot. Also, the twisting lessens as the net gets longer, so I'm getting there !

I got to the 12th row before I buggered it up this time (he wrote through gritted teeth !) This is probably the most frustrating thing I've ever tried......

if you got to the 12th row before you buggered up ......thats 11 you did right :thumbs: unpick the row back as far as you buggered up/or 11th row and carry on, another 11 rows and you got your first net

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 2

why if you got to the 12 row than made a mistake did you throw it in the bin thats seem a waste just unpick the row you made the mistake on back to the last row that you didnt have a mistake on. as been said before just kee at it.

A problem a lot of people get when starting to knit their own nets is, the do not do it long enough for the muscle memory to kick in, once that kicks in it is like falling off a log.

TC

just a question from someone almost in the same position ! if the knots have been pulled tight it seems almost impossible to unpick them to me ,its quicker to start again ! or am i being heavy handed when pulling knots up?

That's the trouble I'm having. When you unpick the poly, all the strands end up separated....

I've used 100g of twine and got absolutely nothing to show.........on the bright side, when I run out, I'll have plenty of rings left !!

• Like 4

As someone who still does his share of unpicking. The easiest way is to cut back each mesh as tight to the knot as you can get it, then just pull the half mesh straight and taught and the knot usually ping's of the mesh.

TC

• Like 1

As someone who still does his share of unpicking. The easiest way is to cut back each mesh as tight to the knot as you can get it, then just pull the half mesh straight and taught and the knot usually ping's of the mesh.

TC

It's reassuring to know that even someone of your experience occasionally gets it wrong, too !

Not at all reassuring to have your spirit crushed by a ball of string .........

Edited by Blackbriar
  • Like 2

When I started on my first long net I found my self about 10 yards in then realised my knots where slipping all over the shop. That was dispiriting but it taught me to pay closer attention in the future as I go