.17 Remington Shooters

How do you find the ammo as I'd heard it's near impossible to get the brass and the stock ammo is very expensive.

Right on both counts Alsone, I don't reload so its just factory ammo for me, its hard to get hold of and the prices are high (you can pay £50 for a box of 20).

..................................... I don't reload so its just factory ammo for me, its hard to get hold of and the prices are high (you can pay £50 for a box of 20).

There are not many Remington .17 users because it has limited uses, is expensive to run and has very little choice of factory ammo.

What drew you to the .17?

Right on both counts Alsone, I don't reload so its just factory ammo for me, its hard to get hold of and the prices are high (you can pay £50 for a box of 20).

I can get that down a bit for you if you can nip up to Hertfordshire and bulk buy & collect.

£39.20 in Hertfordshire per 20 or £175.20 per 100:

http://gunshop-eb.com/CF%20Sporting%20%20Ammunition.php

100-200+ would probably make the trip worthwhile depending on your licence holding.

Edited by Alsone

..................................... I don't reload so its just factory ammo for me, its hard to get hold of and the prices are high (you can pay £50 for a box of 20).

There are not many Remington .17 users because it has limited uses, is expensive to run and has very little choice of factory ammo.

Compared to what Deker mate.. the beauty of this calibre is that I can shoot in almost any direction with little fear of richochet and the myths about barrel burning and no good in the wind are statements mainly by people who have never shot one. Your right about the ammo though but that's the suppliers fault it's a calibre that's not flavour of the month so they don't import it.

I've often wondered why people went out and bought an HMR (which IS limited) when they could have had a .17 centrefire but there you go ;)

I can get that down a bit for you if you can nip up to Hertfordshire and bulk buy & collect.

£39.20 in Hertfordshire per 20 or £175.20 per 100:

http://gunshop-eb.com/CF%20Sporting%20%20Ammunition.php

100-200+ would probably make the trip worthwhile depending on your licence holding.

Alsone thanks for that mate I've just located a stash in Bucks for £34 for 20 (300 on ticket) ;)

Compared to what Deker mate.. the beauty of this calibre is that I can shoot in almost any direction with little fear of richochet and the myths about barrel burning and no good in the wind are statements mainly by people who have never shot one. Your right about the ammo though but that's the suppliers fault it's a calibre that's not flavour of the month so they don't import it.

I've often wondered why people went out and bought an HMR (which IS limited) when they could have had a .17 centrefire but there you go ;)

I was just curious why a .17Rem.

I can shoot in any direction with any of my rifles and I don't have any fears of a ricochet, even the .22lr.

Ammo suppliers fault???? They are in business to make money, if more people ran a 17 Rem or Fireball then perhaps you would find more ammo, but they don't.

Of course a HMR is limited, so is a .22lr, so is a 308 and so is a .17 Rem.

That's why I have a number of different rifles so I can select the best for any given job.

The choice is obviously yours, I was just curious why you settled on a 17 Rem, simple as!

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker

I was just curious why a .17Rem.

I can shoot in any direction with any of my rifles and I don't have any fears of a ricochet, even the .22lr.

Ammo suppliers fault???? They are in business to make money, if more people ran a 17 Rem or Fireball then perhaps you would find more ammo, but they don't.

Of course a HMR is limited, so is a .22lr, so is a 308 and so is a .17 Rem.

That's why I have a number of different rifles so I can select the best for any given job.

The choice is obviously yours, I was just curious why you settled on a 17 Rem, simple as!

:thumbs:

I didn't 'settle' for a .17 Rem its just another tool in the box but was in fact bought for a particular job where I wanted decent punching power for foxes with (yes you've guessed it) minimal risk of richochet purely because of the sensitivity of the particular location.

As you've stated ALL rifles have their limitations but you specifically pointed out the .17 Rem.

Your point about shooting in any direction without fear of richochet is a bit vague I guess you mean on your particular permissions? Well you wouldn't be able to do that in my job rest assured.

To be honest with you I don't really have the time to get into a debate on here as to why it isn't more popular I just wanted to compare notes with people who use the calibre neither do I need it pointed out as to why manufacturer's/importers/suppliers do what they do but thank's for your comments anyway and if you want to chat further give me a shout on the number below.

Cheers

Martin

07989 105361

• Like 1

If you can get hold of a good amount of the same brass, why not buy an inexpensive basic reloading kit, it will pay for itself in no time, at those prices, and produce better ammo :thumbs:

Completely agree CC unfortunately reloading's not an option here.