Been wanting to try this for a while and had some time today so had a bash,used the search bar but could d no recipes so googled one and have made it using that one tonight,here's a few pics of the preparing,

post-91341-0-85321400-1457560460_thumb.jpg

post-91341-0-66353300-1457560496_thumb.jpg

post-91341-0-38610200-1457560511_thumb.jpg

It's now in the bucket for a week's primary and goes in the demijohn next,I'll update if there's any interest, here's the recipe and method for anyone interested...Carrot wine.

2kg carrots

1kg sugar

300 grams sultanas

Juice/peel of two lemons

Wine yeast and nutrient

Scrub the carrots and slice fairly thinly then roughly chop.Boil 1 gallon of water and then add the carrots. Bring back to the boil and then simmer until tender, roughly 15 minutes. The water will have taken a fair colour.Using a large pan or a brewing bin, strain onto the sugar, raisins and thinly peeled rind of the lemons. Mix well.Allow to cool until lukewarm and add the lemon juice, yeast and yeast nutrient Stir well and leave to ferment in a warm place for at least a week covered to keep flies and wild yeasts off.Strain into a demijohn and add a fermentation lock.Strain and rack when the wines clears, topping up with water to the neck of the demijohn. Leave until fermentation has stopped and then rack again.Put aside for a couple of months and then rack again and bottle.

Makes around 1 gallon of wine. Generally this is not a quick a quick wine. Usually the flavours have developed after a year but its often better after 2 years.

Will be a while before it's ready and drinkable but thought I'd share my carrot wine from start to finish...

• Like 3

Be careful - there's a heck of a lot of sediment. If it gets back into the wine, you won't shift it.

It's a nice wine though.......very sweet, VERY strong !

Good luck, mate !

Edited by Blackbriar
  • 2 weeks later...

2 years wait before you can drink it ? :icon_eek:

Feck that, when it stops bubbling i start guzzling :whistling:

yeah these recipes and methods are all adjustable and i'm impatient so its not likely to see that long :laugh:

I wonder if it would benefit from grating the carrots, rather than slicing them,

Not sure,I just find a recipe I can follow easily with few and simple ingredients and assume they are tried and tested,possibly for decades or more? So have been perfected almost,I'd guess there's not much I could do to improve them just tweek to my own taste?

• 1 month later...

Here's the wine now,clearing and stabilising...

post-91341-0-15773600-1462094378_thumb.jpg

A few more weeks and it'll be bottled,then can be drank but I'll be leaving most to age a bit...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I've bottled it and got 6 bottles,ive only had a sip so far it was nice and if that's anything to go by well worth the effort,works out to about £4 to do a demijohn...