• 2 weeks later...
Chap asked me today if I had took the sloes out of the bottles yet cos if I didnt then it would turn bitter.

Is that true or is it b*llox.

Should hate to waste all that Gin.

Harry,

I usually remove the berries about 3 - 6 months, but I did have a jar that I forgot to remove them from at all for a long time and it was still very tasty.

I think that you have to let the licquor mature in the bottle once the berries have come out though, for at least 12 months for best results.

OTC

Make it September/October, whenever the Sloe is ready and leave the fruits in until NEXT christmas (about 14-15 months). Earliest you should remove the fruit is First Christmas (2-3 months).

Try it.....First Christmas is ok, but if you can keep your hands off it long enough for next Christmas the difference is well worth the wait.

With all the Gin and sugar involved there should not be any problems with anything being bitter unless there is a hygiene problem. Most peoples problem is with it being too sweet, but adjust the recipe a bit each year to your own personal preference!

Absolutely brilliant drink and so easy!!!!

Deker

I normallt drain the berries out at about easter so prob about 6 months. We've 18 bottles of sloe gin, 2 of sloe vodka and 6 damson gin all slowly doing their thing!!!

The best one I drank was 10 years old, the bottle was lost then found during a friends house move..........

A little tip:

NEVER NEVER soak your sloes or damsons in gin for a week and then make a crumble with them, no matter how much custard you add you'll be blind for a week and have a migrane for a foetnight after :censored: :sick: :drink: