Ferreting Dog

Was thinking of buying a ferreting dog it would be nice if could mark up and do a good days ferreting and a good night lamping and retrieve live what type of dogs do you all use

As in what breed I know dogs llike that hard to come by but they are put there if sire and dam retrieve live mark up and can Do a good night's lamp and knows the ferreting job what x s do you all use

For what your wanting just bunnys would go for a whippet x nothing too big that's just if you have no plans for doing anything else don't think you would go far wrong with a whippet type lurcher if all your doing is a couple nights lamping a year and a few weekends ferreting but it's a personal choice you could even get away with just a pure whippet it all depends on how much your doing if your going too be out 4 times a week I would go for a bigger sized lurcher but you want go far wrong with the whippets for the odd day and night out ferreting and lamping

• Like 4

well suppose any type dog will use it nose for mooching/ferreting , if given the opportunity . Both my dogs mark great in the day and good in the lamp, and both are big dogs, one 25in the other 28in . so it comes down to what you want in your kennel big or small dog, I lke big dog as you never know what you might bump into as well as rabbits . :thumbs:

• Like 1

I v got a bigger lurcher he not intrseted in sniffing holes or marking or retrieving back unless it's heart has stopped beating he good enugh for a good night's lamping

He is more for sight even if there a rabbit laid in the grass he wouldn't find it his nose crap

I had a pure wippet once it couldn't hack a good night lamping few rabbit runs she was dun

I run grass land and arable no moor land

I do d a fair bit lamping and ferreting

Not much mention of the collie cross

It dosnt matter what cross it is it's the person holding the lead dogs can do things you want them too if you've got enuf patience too teach them hell my pal has a got a dog so we'll trained it will go in the kitchen too grab him a beer but it's still not the best gun dog in world if you want folk too say the best cross out there for certain jobs the list is endless and can go on for 4 pages most of it is down too personal preference like bird says he has bigger dogs incase he pops into something else at night i would tend too go bye the size the dog it will make for the size of the quarry you after instead of what's in it'

the cross is just too add traits of the parents

The best thing you could do is ask yourself what the dog you own is crossed with and why it dosnt do what your wanting it too do and I'd bet money on there is some one on here with the same cross of dog doing the things your dog won't do

Edited by BIGLURKS