Infection In Knee Joint

So 2 weeks ago my bitch came out of cover limping (non weight-bearing) after chasing something obviously having took a tumble as she was covered in boggy mud. Got her showered her then noticed a deep cut on the top inside of her rear knee, the cut was to the bone so luckily for me my vets is just across the road. Got her stitched up with an opening at the bottom to allow the puss and gunk to come out, was prescribed antibiotics and anti-inflammatory\pain relief and was told shed be walking in 2 -3 days. Went back after 5 days as no sign of improving and s**t still leaking out of the cut, he gave her different antibiotics for a week which now the cut is starting to heal but still lame and starting to get muscle waste so the day before i was due to see him i asked for an x-ray to rule out bones. X-ray came back all fine with the bones but vet said she got swelling around the joint which could be serious so she now on bacterial antibiotics and more anti-inflammatory!

The day after she did it i took her to see a mate who trains greyhound just to give her the once over as she took a tumble and was fine apart from the back leg. There was no pain in moving the joint but pain on a certain muscle in the inner thigh down near the bottom of the knee, now he's now bone-man but has a lot of experience, he just said theres swelling in there which could be a torn or badly knocked muscle so iv been also following his advice and icing it as much as i can and when the swelling is gone massage trainers choice in (not got that far yet)

so after reading up on infection in joints 1 symptoms lameness but she's been lame since she banged it so surly the joint took time to become infected? might she have damaged her nerves?

any advice on on both subjects infected joint and the muscle\nerve is grateful or if you've had the same experience how did it turn out for you?

atb

A joint is a joint, regardless of the creature.

If it was your own knee, pain from the cut itself will cause lameness as will the infection, as will the knock she has undoubtedly taken to it.

Keep in good contact with the vet if the area is still looking and feeling infected and give her time to recover from it. You wouldn't be up and running for 5 or 6 weeks after such an injury, don't expect the pooch to do it in a fortnight.

Losing the muscle is a by product of non use so gentle walks when the pain is gone and increase workload gradually to train it back up to health rather than just going from 0-60mph as soon as you can.

It sounds like your doing everything you can, I think it's just a case of being patient and carrying on with what your doing giving her, and the meds time to sort it.

• Like 1

Each case is differnet, but if it were me I'd be looking at a cortisone injection into the joint, followed by Bone Radiol treatment once a day. Rubbed in with a soft toothbrush. That's IF it is the joint.

If she has swollen muscle this could be causing the ligaments to pull oo the 'knee cap' thus causing limping. In such cases a seven/ ten day course of rimadyl/metacam/loxicom should take away the swelling and the cap should right itself.

Obviously, it could be none of those two things, but they could be what the problem is....

he did say the knee cap was a little high on the X-ray would the swelling of the muscle be the cause of the swelling at the bottom of the knee? , she had 7 days of loxicom at first and now she's got another 7 days of it. What will the cortisone injection offer? Also whats the long term prognosis with this type of injury? I've already write this season off with her but I've never came across this before so i wouldn't no

I'm pretty confident the vet is covering both things so hopefully she come right!

SOME YEARS BACK WITH SNIPE A BLACK THORN IT BULLS EYE DEAD CENTER OF THE JOINT,,, LEAVEIN A INFEATION,,TABLETS WAS A WASTE OF TIME THEY COULD NOT GET INTO THE AREA,,,,,SO THE NEEDLE WAS USED TO GET DEEP IN THE JOINT AND THE VET IT THE PROBLEM STRAIT AWAY,,,,

Edited by tjones3862