Have A Look At This

They're not an animal I've much time for. I've seen them diving in the harbour in Clogherhead and coming up with live fish in their mouth, crunch the fish with a bite and let it sink. They don't even dive to follow it down. They're a very wasteful but efficient predator.

When it comes to them going upstream they're either following Salmon or things are tight offshore. That's when I feel sorry for them. When you see 5 or 6 trawlers fishing the same stretches of water every day then something has to give.

LOL, there needs to either be a cull on Seals or fishermen.

If your a registered fisherman and a seal is on your nets you can legally shoot it. They are a very intelligent animal and it does not take them long to work out a free meal. When I was long lining for bass with live mackerel they would swim round looking for your buoys then strip the line of the mackerel. It got so bad that we would use very small buoys that would only show at low & high water a pain in the arse.

Drift netting was the same they would patrol a drifting net and take out the bass as they hit the net and leave the mullet. One night when we pulled a net there was the head of a salmon in it, the body was gone, I estimate the fish would have been well over 30lb, it was bitten through with one bite just behind the gills. But with the ray nets the mesh was so big they would get tangled in them and that was fishing in 300ft of water.

:laugh: We had a clever fcuker come out with us to crew for a trip, we were hauling in deep water and getting lobsters, crayfish, big cod and all sorts in the 12" mesh of the ray nets. No matter what come over the gunnels he had seen better or caught bigger. Hauling one net we had a monster of a cod wrapped up in the net, his response was I have seen bigger out of Swansea, then a seal came up and he got all excited and started to stutter fffffffcuk iii'ttts a feckkkkking Ppppppenguin. We had to stop hauling we were all crying and rolling around on the deck. He never came again, thank feck.

TC

• Like 3