Pup Retreiving Rabbits

Just after bit advice got a pup 17 month retrieves perfect with balls bummys ect take him out on rabbits hel catch and run about feild and takes five minutes or so then drops or hides then come back any one got any advice on what todo thanks

Edited by wrighty4

Just for my own curiosity mate , have you ever confronted him about food or taken food off him, basically any negetive interaction over with may be a prized possession for the pup ??

On a lighter note it will get better , keep your relationship light and easy going, hand feed, don't confront just manage , best of luck stick with it

There is a big difference between balls and rabbits. Balls belong to you, they are low value, but a fun thing to mess about with. Rabbits are real. They're a big deal to the dog: he sees them as HIS, not yours. So naturally he doesn't want to give them up to you.

Sometimes dogs settle down once they are catching a lot and the novelty has gone from catching them, but not always. Once the dog gets into a habit of doing something it is harder to change it.

The trick is to get him bringing a rabbit to you because he is so damned proud of what he has done and he sees you as the best place to be to show off his prize. It doesn't even enter his head that you are a threat or a come down from all that wild excitement and energy he felt when he was chasing and catching it. But if, however unwittingly, you have helped him to see you as something that shuts down that excitement, he won't bring it to you.

What you need him to do is to see you as a rabbit carrier: somewhere he feels he can dump the rabbits while he carries on hunting. I know that sounds mad, but if you understand the dog's mentality, it makes sense.

Have you ever played tug with him? Playing tug means that the dog is in the chase/kill zone right close and in contact with you. Obviously you don't play tug with a rabbit carcase, but it is a matter of putting that behaviour in place before you ever get out in the field for real hunting. See this article:

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/the-value-of-tug-games-with-puppies/

A lot of dogs retrieve dummies and balls because they like chasing them and bringing them back is the only way they can do it again. But that isn't the same as retrieving something the dog feels belongs to him in the first place. I had similar problems to you with young male Saluki lurchers; very possessive and highly driven. The tug training worked wonders with them, and the praise I gave them when retrieving their catches made them zing! But a dog has to understand what praise is first. Unless you put the whole framework in place: the dog getting massive rewards for being with you: praise, respect, appreciation, the sort of handling it wants: some dogs hate being patted. Only like being stroked under their necks and on their chests. Understanding their body language is very important.

• Like 2

My dog is like that and what casso says rings a few bells. But mine out of the house wont fetch balls or dummies either. When we first started lamping he would catch a rabbit and bugger off a few yards but as he gained experience and its becoming less of a big thing to him he is now hardly walking off at all and hopefully in time I can turn him around. I find best to make no fuss and just walk up to him no calling or making a deal of it for the time being.