power problem

I bought a brand new tx200 a few weeks ago and have put maybe 100 pellets through it, decided to cronograph it this morning and its putting out 12.42 ft/lbs , this is straight out of the box with no mods, using air arms' own pellets .

If i get tested by the police am i likely to get nobbled?

I bought a brand new tx200 a few weeks ago and have put maybe 100 pellets through it, decided to cronograph it this morning and its putting out 12.42 ft/lbs , this is straight out of the box with no mods, using air arms' own pellets .

Technically yes but they will only test it if you get caught poaching or doing something else to antagonize them. :whistling:

it may still be dieseling (burning oil left from manufacture in the barrel or chamber) as its so new. My advice would be put the rest of the tin of (500) pellets through it to settle it in then re chrono it. if its still over the limit and your worried about it take it back to the shop and ask them so sort it, they should do it for free and be very helpful as in the eyes of the law they sold you an illegal firearm so its their ass if you complain!

Hope this helps :thumbs:

If your figures are correct and you find an officious copper and court you will go to prison for 5 years, assuming of course its not on a FAC.

Take it back and get it properly checked/adjusted. It is possible you are correct but a little unlikely, just remember both the manufacturer and dealer are also potentially in a lot of trouble if they have supplied you a tool over 12 ft lb. Hence why most manufacturers check before they ship! Air Arms/Falcon/NSP are all made in the same place, I know it well and the people, they may have cocked up, we all make mistakes sometimes.

Deker

Shop would never admit to anything,and its the owners responsibility to make sure the gun is at sub 12ftlbs.Take it back to the shop and give them s**t,then when you collect it,have them show you in person that the gun is at the legal limit. :thumbs:

Just out of interest, does the penalty you get if your caught reflect the power of the gun, or is it a case of if your over the limit your getting done and thats that? For instance if your only over by a wee bit as this guy is, would they go easier on you than if you were 3 or 4 times over the legal limit?

Just out of interest, does the penalty you get if your caught reflect the power of the gun, or is it a case of if your over the limit your getting done and thats that? For instance if your only over by a wee bit as this guy is, would they go easier on you than if you were 3 or 4 times over the legal limit?

Can't speak from personal experience (i always chrono my guns) but i know of 4 people who have had there guns seized and tested.One had a falcon running at 18ftlbs,none had fac,and none were jailed.I'm sure theres sombody who knows somebody who got 5 years for being in possesion of an air rifle that was 12.001 ftlbs,but i've never heard of it.Like most crimes,there is a maximum sentence,so would be dependant on a lot of factors i would say. :thumbs:

Can't speak from personal experience (i always chrono my guns) but i know of 4 people who have had there guns seized and tested.One had a falcon running at 18ftlbs,none had fac,and none were jailed.I'm sure theres sombody who knows somebody who got 5 years for being in possesion of an air rifle that was 12.001 ftlbs,but i've never heard of it.Like most crimes,there is a maximum sentence,so would be dependant on a lot of factors i would say. :thumbs:

Firearms offences carry a minimum, (as far as I'm aware there is NO maximum) term of 5 years in prison. The theory is 12.01ft or 80ft, it doesn't matter.

The FACT is, that the Police and the courts look at this whole situation a lot more sensibly and it would be most unlikely that a minor power upgrade would lead to a prison sentence.

But beware....the law says 5 years!!!! Also bear in mind, if you have any firearm conviction hanging over you, what do you think your chances of getting a SGC or FAC in the future will be!

Deker

Thanks for that, I suppose if your daft enough to have your gun sitting over the limit when its in your house :doh: or to have a gun which is set in power and cant be changed easily, then you have to expect to get trouble when the police come knocking. Personally I wouldnt allow them in my house without a search warrant whether I owned anything incriminating or not as they have no right to enter your property, but I know some people are daft enough to let the uniform dictate to them and they let them in without one :doh:

Technically yes but they will only test it if you get caught poaching or doing something else to antagonize them. :whistling:

it may still be dieseling (burning oil left from manufacture in the barrel or chamber) as its so new. My advice would be put the rest of the tin of (500) pellets through it to settle it in then re chrono it. if its still over the limit and your worried about it take it back to the shop and ask them so sort it, they should do it for free and be very helpful as in the eyes of the law they sold you an illegal firearm so its their ass if you complain!

Just what i was thinking give the gun time to settle down if its still the same after 500 or so pellets get it back to the shop asap :shok:

Just what i was thinking give the gun time to settle down if its still the same after 500 or so pellets get it back to the shop asap :shok:

Guys

I hear what you are saying but this is NOT a trivial matter. It is fairly unlikely that anything will happen, or you will get caught, or you will go to prison BUT ..... this is potentially a firearms offence. What is the problem here, just take it back to the dealer asap and get them to check/adjust it. Then all your problems/worries are over! OH yes...and just remember the VERY VERY VERY least that will happen if you do get caught is that you will never see the gun again!

Edited by Deker

My tx was running at 12.4 ft/lbs. I was advised by a member of the shooting club where I belong, to put a walnut sized (no need to be exact) blob of moly grease in, and around the spring, and hey presto it now does 11.6 ft/lbs. (It was quiet before, but now its almost silent!)

Regards

Andy :thumbs: