First Time With Longnet

Ive never done it but will try it at some point, i can imagine it being pretty hard to do when its dark

keep practicing mate you'll ge hang of it...tip tho ...don't use a coat with. Buttons or zips..as the net will get caught ...if doing it at night use old coat cut buttons off .

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

went ferreting today first time ive ever used longnets and how quick and easy is it, we dropped my two ferrets in one set and with the ferrets in and out and one side of the set impossible to use purs

You old romantic you. just wait till you drop 150yards in a breeze and by the time it's time to pick it up. It's blowing a gale, that's good fun, crawling on hands and knees cos the net is like a kit

I like long nets for ferreting, first time I ever used one I did a big warren in bramble patch I encircled the entire warren chucked the ferrets in and watched the rabbits hole hopping for a couple o

Posted Images

I doubt it, unless it was infront of there warren, but then they would notice it leaving, that why thy use drop nets, just try sneaking to warrens in the dark without disturbing the bunnies, once you can do that thn drop.a.net and see what happens, but its not as hard as it sounds, at least not all of time lol

You old romantic you. :thumbs: just wait till you drop 150yards in a breeze and by the time it's time to pick it up. It's blowing a gale, that's good fun, crawling on hands and knees cos the net is like a kite up in the air :laugh: Great fun.

TC

• Like 4

I doubt it, unless it was infront of there warren, but then they would notice it leaving, that why thy use drop nets, just try sneaking to warrens in the dark without disturbing the bunnies, once you can do that thn drop.a.net and see what happens, but its not as hard as it sounds, at least not all of time lol

You old romantic you. :thumbs: just wait till you drop 150yards in a breeze and by the time it's time to pick it up. It's blowing a gale, that's good fun, crawling on hands and knees cos the net is like a kite up in the air :laugh: Great fun.

TC

Speaks a man of much experience :victory:

I like long nets for ferreting, first time I ever used one I did a big warren in bramble patch I encircled the entire warren chucked the ferrets in and watched the rabbits hole hopping for a couple of hours with just the odd one breaking cover and hitting the net, learnt an important lesson that day, next time in the same spot I tucked 10yds of longnet into the brambles (which I had cut just enough for the longnet to pass through) and ran an 8yd stop net through the other way cutting the warren into 3 to catch them out when they try to hole hop, had 11 rabbits out in no time. When I can IIl also chuck a handful of purse nets down as well, nothing more annoying than hole hoppers.

Longnets really do open areas that I wouldn't have been able to do as a solo ferreter.

• Like 3

It does sound like it would be a nightmare of a job in bad weather during the day never mind in the dark, it must take some time to get to do it right, ill have a bash some time thou

practice running the net out in the day mate ..run it out nice and slow..doesn't need to b fast aslong as you do it right...then when it comes to picking it back up use a head torch as it won't matter after you walked the field in..aslong as the wind isn't blowing a gale it won't be that hard...especially if your bagging is tied in