Reason To Own A 30-30

If the calibre is applicable to either club, you don't need an "excuse", simply list it for Target!

A 30-30 Underlever is not going to be many peoples first choice rifle for anything serious on the target front though, but if you are a club member you don't need to be that serious!

One way to find out, check ballistic tables. There are full tables out there that compare every calibre for vel, energy, and drop at various distances. Whilst tables don't tell everything, it should at least point you in the right direction to narrowing calibres scientifically rather than just by hoping it will perform better at 100yds+. The latter can be expensive as a test method especially as larger calibres bullets tend to drop more which is why biggest isn't always best.

• 4 months later...

I use a .30-30 with a good 4x scope mounted, with Winchester Silvertips or my own loads, in and around woodland it's very effective on my quarry. A good short range rifle, I do a bit of target shooting with it, with the right cast lead bullet it can, if you know what you're doing, be loaded down to almost subsonic velocity. Compared with the straight walled pistol calibre's it's not a beginners round IMO.

Edited by Mantonman
  • Like 1