Best air rifle?

My nephew has been nagging at me for ages to take him out shooting rabbits. I decided that I'd take him to the rifle range on saturday to see what he was like with my BSA XL lightning. After about 5 or 6 shots he was spinning spoons at 35 yards!! :icon_eek: Then the men at the range were giving him 'Challenges' to hit certain objects and he didnt miss one! :o I was both stunned and chuffed! :notworthy: He really seemed to enjoy himself and was very sensible with the rifle - putting it on safety every time he passed it to me :yes: So, Im definately going to take him shooting rabbits on my permission and I'd quite like to get him a rifle for christmas. Mine seemed a little bit heavy for him, so, any suggestions as to what I should get him? Cheers all. :D

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the first gun my old man bought me when i was a kid was an ASI CF16 then he got me a BSA Meteor Super....but i'll still peferred to sneak out with his Original 52, or his HW 77 when he was at work...even though i could barely lift either of them lol....

if i was going to buy a gun for a junior now...i'd go for a BSA lightening...or an Air Arms S200 if they wanted a pre charged ;) .

the first gun my old man bought me when i was a kid was an ASI CF16 then he got me a BSA Meteor Super....but i'll still peferred to sneak out with his Original 52, or his HW 77 when he was at work...even though i could barely lift either of them lol....

if i was going to buy a gun for a junior now...i'd go for a BSA lightening...or an Air Arms S200 if they wanted a pre charged ;) .

I would tend to agree, many of the tools mentioned so far here are not exactly light. 12 year olds are getting bigger these days but the last thing you want is his arms falling off after walking the fields for an hour or 2.

The Lightening and S200 are good tools , check out the Gamo range as well (Gamo & BSA are more than a little in bed together these days). Lots of good second hand kit about as well. All this is still going to be a very personal choice, but I would suggest you stay away from the £30 full power precision hunting equipment complete with scope etc etc ...........MADE IN CHINA!!!

Deker

Edited by Deker

I would tend to agree, many of the tools mentioned so far here are not exactly light. 12 year olds are getting bigger these days but the last thing you want is his arms falling off after walking the fields for an hour or 2.

The Lightening and S200 are good tools , check out the Gamo range as well (Gamo & BSA are more than a little in bed together these days). Lots of good second hand kit about as well. All this is still going to be a very personal choice, but I would suggest you stay away from the £30 full power precision hunting equipment complete with scope etc etc ...........MADE IN CHINA!!!

Deker

Thanks for all the replies! :icon_redface: My nephew is also diabetic and cant do so much running around with a heavy rifle :no: ive got some great permission where we can hide out and shoot the rabbits (Luckily) he's talked about nothing else since I took him to the rifle range :yes: and he cant wait to go and shoot rabbits! To me thats an interest that should be encouraged :yes: and I cant wait to take him - he's a better shot than me :icon_redface: Ive decided to share my BSA xl lightning with him til christmas then he'll have his own on christmas day :victory: I'll post some pics when I take him out (Soon hopefully!) and thanks again for all the replies and advice. :thumbs: