Just done a strip and clean, re grease job on an old 35 in .22.

Firstly, it's lovely. Really nice for its age. Twanged like a Filipinos knickers but everything seemed sturdy enough. On taking it apart most things has seized up under the wood, but it came apart kinda ok. The piston looked like it had seen better days and the spring had a slight bend in it. Anyway, I didn't polish with wet and dry so to speak, cleaned and re greased, and put it back together. It's not my own so prayed it was gonna be ok, and it was. First shot on re build was like a musket, but as of the 5th shot, the vapour calmed and it felt nice to shoot. A right crack though.

Crono gives me 480 fps which I though was well low. As of the second shot I got 545, then 541, 543, 538 and around that, which comes back at 10.29 with my fields.

Is there anything I've missed for those who know the model? I'll have it with me till Thursday so can re build if need be....

Nice one.

• Like 2

I think hw 35 are over rated 10.29 ft lbs is about right it is for my gun . putting a square section spring in the gun dose nothing to my ft per second it just makes the gun harder to cock . my gun is an old leather seal . The main problem I had was the locking mechanism of the barrel if you pull your barrel down a bit treating it like a brake barrel your barrel may open a tiny bit mine did I fixed it but the problem is back . I gave my gun to my younger brothers who had the gun for 15 years of abuse . I now cannot be bothered with my hw 35 it is shooting with open sights at 10 ft lbs if i am lucky the long barrel is good with open sights and the little bit of play in the barrel is not such a problem with open sights . Its a big problem with a scope .

So you don't like um :) I found the seal particular too... Leather would be the right word to describe it. I drop in my old unused TbT guide. Fitted ok. The rifle will need a re build in a year or two, but I'll see how the owner gets on with it.

I think hw 35 are over rated 10.29 ft lbs is about right it is for my gun . putting a square section spring in the gun dose nothing to my ft per second it just makes the gun harder to cock . my gun is an old leather seal . The main problem I had was the locking mechanism of the barrel if you pull your barrel down a bit treating it like a brake barrel your barrel may open a tiny bit mine did I fixed it but the problem is back . I gave my gun to my younger brothers who had the gun for 15 years of abuse . I now cannot be bothered with my hw 35 it is shooting with open sights at 10 ft lbs if i am lucky the long barrel is good with open sights and the little bit of play in the barrel is not such a problem with open sights . Its a big problem with a scope .

Ive had mine for 36 years now. Its had more springs than a fat birds pogo stick. if you have barrel waggle, re-shim it and fit a new bolt and latch assembly. I believe you can get oversized latches to hone to fit.

• Like 2

the problem is not the latch it is the angled slot in the air cylinder . the latch starts to dig into the metal over time I need to file an chisel the very end of the angled bit in the air cylinder I cant be bothered any more I have a tx 200 and a hw97k that shoot fine .....one thing I did think could now be wrong with my hw 35 is the hole or the bolt that goes through the breech the could now be egg shaped or the pin could be worn . my younger brothers are half my age and have a knack and an ability to destroy every thing .when I gave them the hw 35 it shot bang on with a scope .when I get the gun back the scope ????? fell off ???? and disappeared .and the barrel has movement . I think maybe it got used like a brake barrel and they just wacked the thing open .I fixed up one of the webley omegas 20 years ago they ran out of pellets so they shot nails rapped in blue tack or something . After pulling the gun to bits I found a nail embedded in the piston washer .

Edited by barrywhite