Chic In A Tight Woodchuck Earth

They can squeeze into some tight places for sure. ;) They are fun to dig, because they can dig away from you in the right conditions and the terrier has to learn to deal with the back fill. We were digging a chuck once and my buddy said he thought the chuck had turned upwards. Shortly after that, he said, "I thought I seen the ground move", and about that time up popped a chuck. I have had that happen one other time as well. It was not deep digs only 2 to 3 feet.

Mudcat

• Like 2

Yes, I like the international flavor of this board! We were all guessing his weight and put him in the crate in a shade so we could weigh him later on certified scales at my workplace up the road. We got on another chuck and when we got back he had pushed the door off and was gone.:( I seen him later but he was denning underneath a live railroad so I just watched him and tried to catch him away from that den but never could.

Mudcat

• Like 3

It would have been close to 20 I believe, but it was still a big one for us. They will face the dog and turn away and dig as well. Also, we watched one take his front feet and constantly push up dirt in front of him to try to seal himself off. One well known terrierman from your side of the pond told me that they were his least favorite quarry to dig. He said you needed a small dog with strong prey drive to get to the quarry quickly to keep it from digging away. A lot of bigger terriers get hung up in the turns. By the time you dig down to him, the chuck has dug away. The coons we dig will stay put!

Mudcat

• Like 1

Ferrets used to be more popular in the states than anywhere in the world. And people used them for bolting everything. Even coon sometime. Ghogs would usually not bolt for them.

Now it's illegal because people were releasing them all I we the place. Seems silly though to make them illegal for that. They don't survive well.