Deutsch Drahthaar As A Game Dog

don't know if this would be the spot to ask this but was thinking maybe some of you boys mite know about this I find out about the deutsch drahthaar when I find out about them be used for deer and I got to reading what little I could find about them here I find they have been used as game dogs from what I can find they may be the dogs I have be looking for I just hunt furs but the way I ready they don't make a lot of noise until they are right on them game so they make good bay dogs I am mostly thinking about fox and coyote hunting and just had a few ?

1 the land we hunt is mostly hills with a lot of cover since they tend to run quite would they be hard to keep up with

2 since I grew up with hounds I need to know do you teach them to take a track like you would a hound

3 as I am mostly looking at one for coyote and fox hunting how do they handle game that can fight

4 and last one I hear they can make a good water dog so I am thiking about maybe use one for beaver and muskrat hunting can they be good at bringing back game to you

I think they will tick all them boxes I'm no expert on them though . All I can say is I wish I had got one years ago . Mines only 7 month and looking very promising . Way more advanced to other dogs I've had in the past . I've got a good contact in Germany if you need any help in finding the right one etc .

Get a good line of gwp and they will do everything you want. They wont back down from anything with teeth and the main trouble you will have is stopping them hunting. They can be a dominant dog to kennel and they are headstrong but gentle consistent handling will give you a real dog. There are Dutch/german lines that are particularly good but I don't know any more than that

• Like 1

thinks you all that pretty much adds up with what little I could find about them just one last ? if anyone has hunted them on game I have read they well not brake until they on all most right on the game is that what you all have seen

thinks you all that pretty much adds up with what little I could find about them just one last ? if anyone has hunted them on game I have read they well not brake until they on all most right on the game is that what you all have seen

KYBOY44, Some DD's will bark on track but most only bark when game is sighted. Mine was the later and did pretty well hunting squirrels, and racoons. Not the ideal dog for working a trapline but they can handle pretty much anything you introduce them to. Mines 12.5 years old now and is happy to catch the odd opossum. But when he goes I'll certainly get another. If you want to see some Drahthaar's in action a breed test would be worth your time. You could talk with other hunters and watch the dogs do their thing. Here is the groups website: http://www.vdd-gna.org/

ATB

• Like 2

what I am trying to find out is if they run quit would they be faster to bay up game then a hound that would open up on the first track we live in land that is mostly hills and it would take a hound hours if not all day to run down game so a dog that can bay up one fast would be great

what I am trying to find out is if they run quit would they be faster to bay up game then a hound that would open up on the first track we live in land that is mostly hills and it would take a hound hours if not all day to run down game so a dog that can bay up one fast would be great

kyboy44, There is a big difference between a cold nosed hound and a DD. A DD can work an older track like a blood track. But generally they have a warmer nose and only work fresher tracks. So, when they work they produce pretty quick. Also, if there is nothing in the area they don't waste time there they move on. Now I'm not trying to be funny here, but DD's are pointing dogs and this instinct is in all of them. They learn what your after and will work hard for you. But there is the chance that they'll catch wind of a bird and lock up right there. Especially when they are younger.

Some guys these days prefer a black mouth cur, or mountain cur for fur hunting. I don't have any experience with these but what I understand is they make noise or bawl on track but they are not as cold nosed as a hound so you don't have the dog working a seven hour old track. So, in that respect your hunts would be quicker. Also, they come when their called. ;)

I'm sorry to keep directing you to websites. But, you might want to ask around squirrel dog central. http://www.sqdog.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

There are quite a few cur dog guys and gals there.

Good luck with your search

• 5 months later...

Sorry, But i dont think youd be doing the dog/breed any favors.

THey are upland dogs and used as such, or as beaters and chasing game. Sitting in a blind is but a small part of what they can and should do. Id suspect major boredom and host of issues really if you dont also upland hunt - quail, pheasant, grouse, rabbit.

That said, IF you are prepared to mentally and physically stimulate your dog daily, and hunt with them - waterfowl, and vermin, then they might be very good at it if the right line. There might be better breeds for nuisance dispatch - Dogo or Pit lurcher, but DDs generally dont ave a reverse in them and will close ie put teeth on fur.

Id avoid GWPs for the fact they they have no breeding standards, no hardness tests etc and most have no focus or interest on fur. These traits vanquish when not bred for, like Hardness and vermin dispatch.

Lastly, Ive heard of some actually catching jackrabbits/hares out West, but never seen it. Mine has caught, run down cottontails and squirrels. Some are very very fast. They wont outrun a coyote - few breeds even can, but will a fox in a close race or a nicked coyote.

You really need help from others in your area that know the breed well and can work with you. Otherwise you just have no idea what youre in for..