Emergency Kit

Wondering what kind of kit everyone keeps for emergencies for their dogs. I.e field first aid kits and supplies for illness or injury. Interested as I could do with getting a first aid kit together for in the field before I start working my pup.

Cheers

I catch boar with my dogs so my cut kit is probably more extensive than what most would require so I'll not bore with all that's in it. I would like to point out that having something with you such as bedadine or hydrogen peroxide and a large syringe to flush deep lacerations and puncture wounds with is a good idea. This will help prevent infection by killing bacteria. Tweezer to pick out grass seeds or other litter is a good idea. Gauze, vet wrap and a good blood clotting agent is extremely benifical in the worst of times. Always a good idea to have some water too.

All that I just mentioned I will never be far from when hunting my dogs. All this and much more can be carried in a back pack or smaller pack carried around your waist. These items will allow you to travel light and buy you time to get your dog to better care.

90% of my first aid in the field only involves flushing wounds with bedadine or hydrogen peroxide to prevent infection and giving a hot dog water and wetting it down. That takes care of most everything I encounter. The other 10% is where all the other supplies comes into play

and those materials I keep in a large bag in the truck.

• Like 2

I catch boar with my dogs so my cut kit is probably more extensive than what most would require so I'll not bore with all that's in it. I would like to point out that having something with you such as bedadine or hydrogen peroxide and a large syringe to flush deep lacerations and puncture wounds with is a good idea. This will help prevent infection by killing bacteria. Tweezer to pick out grass seeds or other litter is a good idea. Gauze, vet wrap and a good blood clotting agent is extremely benifical in the worst of times. Always a good idea to have some water too.

All that I just mentioned I will never be far from when hunting my dogs. All this and much more can be carried in a back pack or smaller pack carried around your waist. These items will allow you to travel light and buy you time to get your dog to better care.

90% of my first aid in the field only involves flushing wounds with bedadine or hydrogen peroxide to prevent infection and giving a hot dog water and wetting it down. That takes care of most everything I encounter. The other 10% is where all the other supplies comes into play

and those materials I keep in a large bag in the truck.

good sensible answer

• Like 1

Get out for a while with an experienced hand no good having a kit without knowing what you are treating and how to proceed.

That's not practical or realistic really. An accident can happen anywhere at any time. At home and in the field. I'd have to tag along for hell of a long time. To be fair I didn't ask what experience I need, or what to do in an emergency. Rtfq

When Doctors train dont they go to Medical school to train without having to attend accidents? People train so when and if an emergency does happen it can be dealt with. Instead of using the emergency field pack as a seat.

Edited by desertbred