22 Eley Subs - Anyone Noticed Them Starting To Crack A Little

recent batch seems to be going a little faster.

anyone noticed their subs going a smiggin faster?

eleys have always started to crack a little in winter due to freezing tempuratues and my 18.5inch 22 barrel.

but they never cracked in summer before now.

anyone else noticed the same?

I noticed the odd crack when using remington's my cz didn't like them also the grouping wasn't consistent so i stopped using them,i now use only winchesters.With what you describe i would imagine the grouping is very inconsistent.

Edited by goldfinger

I did have a bad spell last year with a dodgy batch. accuracy seems ok at the moment. consistency is ok also.

I,m considering getting one of those seating dies which is suppose to make each bullet more uniform and also tighter groups. ever tried one?

1 inch groups at 90 is good.

No I have not tried it. I'm relatively new to hunting. Have done a lot of shooting in 9mm and 5.56mm. 22lr is more fun in some ways trying to push the limits of my skill. I'm gonna deep clean my rifle, and check scope and mounts. Hopefully grouping will come back. Its easier when its a human error rather than the rifle.

I second the wood touching the barrel. I had 3 runners last time out rabbiting, since checking it with the paper round the barrel it wont fit down the gap so its barrel off & files out for me. mine is also a brno, the varmint model with the heavy barrel & it usually shoots ragged 1 hole groups at around 40 yds. I have had this before on another cz, my 17 hmr American did the same thing on me a few years ago.

• 1 month later...

Gents after the longest school holiday in history.... or so it seems. I have cleaned changed scope changed moderator and then checked again. All is good, accuracy bang on. Thanks for the advice gents I must admit I didnt float the barrel it never was free floating.