One That Got Away,

Out for our usual walk this morning decided to go down along the river on the west side walking North,

there is a nice paddock on the right hand side walking down towards the river, I see a couple of rabbits sitting, and they were nice distance from the stone wall that surrounds the paddock, my black bitch in she goes, the rabbit jumps, the wee bitch of like a bullet catches the rabbit she slid on her shoulder then onto her back with the rabbit in her mouth, as she is carrying the rabbit back to me another rabbit jumps about, 20yards off her, starts to run after the second rabbit still carrying the first one, she drops the first one, misses the second one, the First one gets up and runs back to a Hole in the stone wall, after all the excitement NO rabbit, but I had a bit of excitement, and a great view of all of the action,

Another similar story, back in the early 70s I had a 3/4 grey 1/4 deerhound, dog,fawn rough coated with a nice beard, stood around 28" and length to go with it, one morning, we were out coursing, the dogs name was LUCKY, He coursed a good hare, a good course, dog run very well, killed his hare and was carrying the Hare, back towards me, When another hare jumped, from around a Large pylon that was standing in that field, He took after that second hare carrying the first hare, when the dog came back to me, he was blowing Hard, I cleaned his mouth from the soft down that was still around his mouth, took him to a small burn, Beck, He did not know whether to Lie down drink, he was burning from his Efforts,

I took him home he was very uncomfortable, I gave him a sugary cup of tea, he was only around 2 years old, a very handy dog for all Edible,, two three days past and I could see the dog was not right, He just seemed to be Spent, a week went by I thought I will give him a run on a rabbit, to see what happens, the dog could not run a 100yards, He was totally spent, I took him to a vet I knew who was a very good dog vet, at that time, explained all to him what happened, He feared the worst, he says your dog would have to be X-rayed,his Lungs and diaphragm, in those days the only place to ex-ray animals in Scotland was Edinburgh,I phoned them, and they said It could be a week or more, before they could take him, The dog never ran a hare ever again, he was finished,

• Like 2

Years ago BL i had a Whippet X Bedlington, and a few times she would run catch a rabbit, then if another jumped up, she would drop the rabbit, that would slink away, she then would fail to catch the second, so you were left with zilch. lol

I would then shout at her, why did you do that,where she would look at me, as if to say whats up wi him.

• Like 1