Collie lurchers

When it comes down to Breeding a collie type lurcher which collie IE Breed Is most popular and what different traits do the individual breeads bring to the table..

Who owns and works collie crosses ??

What land / terrain do you hunt and dose you dog meet all your needs??

I do own a collie mix lurcher is more line bread bitza I have never seen first crosses work or 3/4 or even reverse 3/4, Beardie ,borders ,kepi is there more collie breeds used in the makeup of lurchers??

All information and pics kindly Recieved :yes:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A selection of dogs that are all beardie/border bred the first 3 are 3/8 5/8 and the merle is a 1/2 bred , the dark brindle is my mates and does seem to have thrown more to the collie she is a fair b

Posted Images

Unsure which collie would be the best in ability but the bearded collie always produce some nice pups when put to a greyhound or whippet etc due to the pups been mostly broken coated but on the other hand Looks arnt everything :whistling: ?

Edited by bowers1986
well they have to be a bit leggy like she is only a small bitch not sure how tall but below 23 anyway.... :thumbs:

My mate, had a collie/grey x whippet, she was about 23'' perhaps a little smaller. Awsum lamping bitch she also caught her fair share of hares on the lamp before the ban. Ok, it's not quite the same as a daytime course but they are still a challanging quarry on the lamp in big fields on the mountains near me.

When it comes down to Breeding a collie type lurcher which collie IE Breed Is most popular and what different traits do the individual breeads bring to the table..

I do own a collie mix lurcher is more line bread bitza I have never seen first crosses work or 3/4 or even reverse 3/4, Beardie ,borders ,kepi is there more collie breeds used in the makeup of lurchers??

I actually visited Hancock and asked him the difference about this question And his answer was absolutley no difference at all but if you stood on Beachy head with a beardie one side and a Border the other and you jumped the Border would jump with you.

But both make brilliant dogs, PLEASE PLEASE DONT LET ME START A HANCOCK WAR ON HERE AS EVERYTIME HES MENTIONED OR SOMEONE MENTIONS THE WORD COLLIEXGREYHOUND ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE.

Im actually after a Lurcher at the moment in time and ive looked into the Collie x Greyhound type but Im confused weather to go beardie or Border. Im not neccesaryly going to Hancock i may try to look for a working strain Its something i dont chop and change as if i buy a pup i bury it so its gotta be right.

hi mate,iv only ever experienced a 1/8th merle collie grey and a 3/4grey1/4border collie,the 2nd one my dad owned he wasnt much of a looker but very very clever,down to my dads training i guess,he put alot of time into him as a pup,sadly he had to be put to sleep, the 1/8th merle is my mates its very fast prety much a greyhound but with better feet, and more stamina,very good with old long ears,went down to highgate stadium and won the marathon with her,cracking bitch heres a little pic,good luck with your decision :thumbs:

post-10690-1195074799_thumb.jpg

I once had an old fella Charley a 3/4 grey x 1/4 border .out of a red merle called Chuckles,he served me well took all game retreived to hand took fox single handed,and worked to the gun ,he is in my Avatar,the black dog,my mate Andy had a beardie cross out of Enoch ,that bitch ,Belle was a fine dog took hundreds of rabbits ,many fox and a few deer.

I actually visited Hancock and asked him the difference about this question And his answer was absolutley no difference at all but if you stood on Beachy head with a beardie one side and a Border the other and you jumped the Border would jump with you.

But both make brilliant dogs, PLEASE PLEASE DONT LET ME START A HANCOCK WAR ON HERE AS EVERYTIME HES MENTIONED OR SOMEONE MENTIONS THE WORD COLLIEXGREYHOUND ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE.

Im actually after a Lurcher at the moment in time and ive looked into the Collie x Greyhound type but Im confused weather to go beardie or Border. Im not neccesaryly going to Hancock i may try to look for a working strain Its something i dont chop and change as if i buy a pup i bury it so its gotta be right.

I'm not quite sure what your trying to say with your Beachy head comment. If your implying that Borders are in some way more loyal than Beardies then I couldn't disagree more strongly. If on the other hand your trying to say that Beardies are more intelligent than Borders and would therefore be unwilling to sacrifice it's self with its master then I again disagree. Which ever way you look at it, it's a very strange comment indeed and one I find hard to believe that David has himself said.

There maybe many who, having purchased a collie bred lurcher, have become so frustrated with their dog they have felt like throwing themselves off of Beachy head, of this I am sure because they certainly ain't everyone's cup of tea.

As to the real difference between the two....

Beardies crosses a generally tougher than the Borders, having better feet and a better weather proof coat, however from what I see this depends on the Beardie used in the creation of the lurcher as some have totally impractical coats that are way to long and linty.

Beardie bred lurchers are on the hole a lighter build than Borders particularly in the first cross. This is due, in my opinion, to the fact that the Beardies shape lends it's self better to the creation of a lurcher. Again i guess a lot depends on the collie used in the creation.

From the Hancock point of view, David does like to use large Border collie stud dogs and that is reflected in the pups that he produces. Not every body is of the same view of course.

Borders are, I'm led to believe, easier to train than Beardies. This may be down to how quickly they mature. Beardies are notoriously slow to mature and this may have some baring.This however is not the case with my present bitch, she has been a joy to train and has matured very quickly into a very steady little dog. Make of that what you will.

I think it's fare to say that Border collie lurchers are more popular, whether this is purely down to the avalibilty of working stock over the Beardie I can only speculate.

The working Beardie gene pool is very small and finding a true working strain Beardie is not as easy as finding a working Border.

David and Sally have managed to find such a dog from true working stock and whether the dog it's self works or not, the blood is there from many generations past. This therefore is one option when trying to find yourself a Beardie bred lurcher, it is I stress not everyone's first port of call for what ever reason. There are others who have bred Beardie crosses and I wish good luck in tracking them down.

I will say that the pups that Davids stud Beardie Hector is producing all seem to be doing the business in the field as I'm sure those people on this forum that own them will testify.

Sorry if I've sounded like an advert for the Hancock's its not my intention. People can make their own minds up.

To Lady hounter07,

Your lurcher appears to be of Merle colouring which means that it must have Border blood in its ancestry. Beardies do not carry the Merle gene. Nice dog though :thumbs:

All the best Giro, I know I'm biast but, I'd plump for a Beardie half cross every time.

Heres my present Beardie 1/2 bred.

aurakq2.jpg

auradeva055ki2.jpg

auradeva056am4.jpg

auradeva030nr6.jpg

I

A selection of dogs that are all beardie/border bred

the first 3 are 3/8 5/8 and the merle is a 1/2 bred , the dark brindle is my mates and does seem to have thrown more to the collie she is a fair bit smaller than my brindle who is her half sister and also lacks a little bit of pace but has just started lamping and is catching rabbits well

Img0387ed.jpg

Img0254-1.jpg

Img0741.jpg

Img0620.jpg

DSCN0570.jpg

DSCN0312.jpg

11.jpg

f-1.jpg

Edited by Chaz
  • Like 1

I'm not quite sure what your trying to say with your Beachy head comment. If your implying that Borders are in some way more loyal than Beardies then I couldn't disagree more strongly. If on the other hand your trying to say that Beardies are more intelligent than Borders and would therefore be unwilling to sacrifice it's self with its master then I again disagree. Which ever way you look at it, it's a very strange comment indeed and one I find hard to believe that David has himself said.

There maybe many who, having purchased a collie bred lurcher, have become so frustrated with their dog they have felt like throwing themselves off of Beachy head, of this I am sure because they certainly ain't everyone's cup of tea.

As to the real difference between the two....

Beardies crosses a generally tougher than the Borders, having better feet and a better weather proof coat, however from what I see this depends on the Beardie used in the creation of the lurcher as some have totally impractical coats that are way to long and linty.

Beardie bred lurchers are on the hole a lighter build than Borders particularly in the first cross. This is due, in my opinion, to the fact that the Beardies shape lends it's self better to the creation of a lurcher. Again i guess a lot depends on the collie used in the creation.

From the Hancock point of view, David does like to use large Border collie stud dogs and that is reflected in the pups that he produces. Not every body is of the same view of course.

Borders are, I'm led to believe, easier to train than Beardies. This may be down to how quickly they mature. Beardies are notoriously slow to mature and this may have some baring.This however is not the case with my present bitch, she has been a joy to train and has matured very quickly into a very steady little dog. Make of that what you will.

I think it's fare to say that Border collie lurchers are more popular, whether this is purely down to the avalibilty of working stock over the Beardie I can only speculate.

The working Beardie gene pool is very small and finding a true working strain Beardie is not as easy as finding a working Border.

David and Sally have managed to find such a dog from true working stock and whether the dog it's self works or not, the blood is there from many generations past. This therefore is one option when trying to find yourself a Beardie bred lurcher, it is I stress not everyone's first port of call for what ever reason. There are others who have bred Beardie crosses and I wish good luck in tracking them down.

I will say that the pups that Davids stud Beardie Hector is producing all seem to be doing the business in the field as I'm sure those people on this forum that own them will testify.

Sorry if I've sounded like an advert for the Hancock's its not my intention. People can make their own minds up.

To Lady hounter07,

Your lurcher appears to be of Merle colouring which means that it must have Border blood in its ancestry. Beardies do not carry the Merle gene. Nice dog though :thumbs:

All the best Giro, I know I'm biast but, I'd plump for a Beardie half cross every time.

Heres my present Beardie 1/2 bred.

aurakq2.jpg

auradeva055ki2.jpg

auradeva056am4.jpg

auradeva030nr6.jpg

I

Sounds like sence to me.

David did give that reply to my question and its not because youd want to jump pff beachy head.

I phoned before i went down and asked Sally the same question and her reply was "Tell a Beardie to go away and it will "Tell a Border to go away and itll keep coming back"

I usually stay off these threads because I cant stand the sycophantic crap some people spout about Hancock, but in this instance I will make exception because what Sally says about borders and beardies is true :yes: I prefer the border for that very reason, I am short tempered and quick to anger and the border is very forgiving, you can give a border some stick either verbally or physically and they seem to love you all the more for it :laugh: Try that with other more sensetive crosses and you will be watching a clean pair of heels as the dog takes off in search of a more patient and sensetive master :bye: